Introductions Hi from the UK!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by jonnyboy, Tuesday 3rd Jun, 2014.

1. jonnyboy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jonny
    Hello everyone, im new to the honda world but got myself a 96/97 accord 2.2i VTEC, I got it as a temporary to run till end of MOT then scrap it. I paid £200 quid so expect some faults aswell as doing 192k but if im honest I love it!! pulls extremely well for a high miler. looking at trying to get it through another MOT and keeping for a while. Anything i should look out for been new to the jap world?

thanx in advance and hello :Thumbup:

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Welcome to HondaKarma Jonny !

192K ... ah that's barely middle age for a Honda :Grin::Tongue:

3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Welcome jonnyboy :Hey:

This is the site for all things Honda.
    I'd start by checking over all the usual service items for now.

4. jonnyboy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jonny
    first niggly thing, where is the obd port? I've looked behind the ashtray and all I've found is an led?

5. jonnyboy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jonny
    and cheers guys, nels i did go to check air filter and the bolts were that tight it was ridiculous! Tells me it hasnt been serviced in a while lol

6. accordheritage Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England York
    Welcome to HK. I owned the 2.0 se version of this car and loved it until the body rot shot the car down.

Rear sills can hide grot near jacking points. The plastic trim is a bit of a water trap. Rear arches can become bubbly if mud builds up, also these cars suffer from worn bearings.

Enjoy it, the 2.2 was a great car.

7. jonnyboy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jonny
    cheers mate ill check them areas. Small world ey im from selby, only about 10 miles from you

accordheritage likes this.
  8. accordheritage Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England York
    Nice one. Must meet up and check out your car in the metal. Regards matey.

jonnyboy likes this.
  9. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Welcome Jonny... It may be your firstHonda but I would hazard a guess that it won't be your last.

10. jonnyboy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jonny
    it most definately won't be my last. Im massively impressed with this one, high miles and pretty old yet still pulls well and most of the electrics still work. Few questions id like to ask though, i looked in the rear arch and theres sometjing that comes over the rear wheel? whats that then? theres also a STRANGE TANK LIKE CHAMBER ON THE INTAKE, WHATS THAT AND IS IT NEEDED? CHEERS

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@jonnyboy, please post some pictures of the things in question. :Unknown:

12. accordheritage Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England York
    More than likely the chamber is the plenum for the injection and the thing over the rear wheel is the upper wishbone

Pictures will help

13. accordheritage Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England York
    This was my 2.0 back in the day.

My CE8.

John Dickson, MickyB and Nels like this.
  14. jonnyboy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jonny
    looks clean! and the wheels are so much nicer than the ones on mine! sorry no pics yet ill try post some tomorrow, does anyone know where the obd port is?

15. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'll need @accordheritage to confirm this but I don't think the 5th Generation would have an OBD port, or if it did it would be the first version only?

16. accordheritage Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England York
    Yeah I'm thinking it doesn't have one. The car is quite old. Though I never needed to search for one. Perfect engine and electrics.

17. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Welcome to HK

Always has a soft spot for this generation of accord. Loved them with they were in the BTCC touring car races in the 90s
    These accord and go on for years. They are very strong cars compared the modern day examples.

18. jonnyboy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jonny
    as proven with the one i have now. electric seats even work im well surprised. obviously theres a ball joint here and bearing there that need replacing (but thats expected) yet the car still drives extremely smooth. what do these cars usually sell for nowadays? heres a poor effort of a picture of whats in the rear arch

IMAG3839. IMAG3839. IMAG3840.

19. jonnyboy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jonny
    so hereS A PIC OF THE OLD GIRL AFTER A WASH. IDEALLY WANT TO POLISH AND WAX BUT NOT ENOUGH TIME TODAY.

20. jonnyboy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jonny
    OLD GIRL

Attached Files:

accordheritage likes this.