Introductions Hi Honda people

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by paulf, Thursday 15th Oct, 2015.

1. paulf Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Paul Rochester
    You look a friendly bunch - might be nice to swap views from time to time.. I was drawn in by 'jbob' and his imported 'Elysion'.
    I too have been tempted with a 3.0 L Elysion import. In fact the car he has imported is nearly exactly what I was after, maybe a few years newer would have been preferable.But what a lovely car !
    We have had a CR-V auto petrol from new in 2008 but was looking for the extra seats for grandchildren when I stumbled on the Elysion.
    I would love to hear jbobs experience of purchasing and importing his car without seeing it first.

Regards to all
    Paul F

Zebster likes this.
  2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:welcome: to Honda Karma Paul.
    Please do add your CR-V to the Club Garage as it is a great place to showcase your Honda.
    I agree completely with you, the Elysion really is a marvellous vehicle.

If you want to get @Jbob 's attention, you need to tag him. This FAQ will show you how.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  4. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    Welcome along Paul

5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

6. paulf Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@Jbob Hi Jim
    I would love to know the process you went through to import your 'elysion' . I have been looking for months at the very same car you have, maybe a little newer.
    Does the 3.0L VCM give you good economy ? Have you had any luck with changing the satnav and radio to UK ?
    Paul

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Not seen @Jbob online for a few days. I imported a Honda Edix (FR-V) recently myself, what part of the process do you need to know about ?

8. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Welcome to HK @paulf, the best Honda forum out there :welcome:

Look forward to seeing your import when you get it

9. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Welcome Paul!

10. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello:Bye:and:welcome:to:gohonda:KARMA

11. paulf Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@SpeedyGee Did you buy from Japanese auction or from dealer 'stock' ? How accurate are the auction condition reports ? How much were all the extras in addition to the purchase price ? Can you change the satnav and radio to UK on the 'elysion' ? If you used an agent were they trustworthy and who were they ? etc,etc. All that sort of stuff.
    Cheers Paul
    @Jbob

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I bought from an online site website Japanese used cars | tradecarview - Japanese used cars online market

The bodywork was worse than I expected. To mitigate this, read through the reviews for the dealer selling the car and make sure they have lots of good feedback. Also ask lots and lots of questions and ask for lots of additional pictures.

Which extras are you referring to ?

There's a lot of extra cost on top of the purchase of the car. You pay roughly about £700 shipping, you then pay Duty on top of the purchase and
    shipping cost, you then pay VAT on top of this figure !!
    If the car is less than 10 years old you need to have it checked by VOSA, this costs £200, if it's more than 10 years old you can skip this and just get it MOT'd. You have the cost of the MOT to pay for. You will have to pay £55 DVLA registration fee. There's a fee that needs to be paid to a shipping agent to clear the paperwork at the arriving port. I think this was about £30.

So as you can see there is a lot of cost on top the purchase price of the vehicle. The Duty and VAT are a killer amount.

Also it's highly likely that you will need to put 4 new tyres on the vehicle.

I'll let @Jbob answer the Elsion specific questions.

Jbob likes this.
  13. Jbob Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Jim Southampton
    Hello @paulf,

Sorry I've been away. Importing is as @SpeedyGee has just said and it's a very slow process! Many communication issues and of course the time delays don't exactly help either!

I haven't worked out exact MPG figures but it's a lot better on a run. Doing the school run and day to day stuff a full tank is lasting 2 weeks (mainly 10 mile round trips). The cost of a full tank is around £60 as its only about 55ltrs. The Eco light comes on anytime you're not accelerating and in any gear! You wouldn't know half the engine switching off/on as it's seamless, really clever indeed.

14. Jbob Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

With regards to the sat nav, I've come to a grinding halt at the moment as the aftermarket offerings I've come across are not true 'swap out' plug and play. I believe/hope that now these cars are being exported, there will be a solution at some point.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Oh btw I nearly forgot! Hi @paulf - sorry that wasn't my first response!

15. paulf Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@Jbob
    Hi Bob
    Have you had any luck with the sat nav and radio on you elysion ? I have been reading reports of the VCM engine having oily plug problems and excessive oil use. What are your findings ? With the reliability of the 2.4 VTEC being so good I have to make the choice. I cannot see many 3.0 VCM elysions after about 2010 is there a reason for this ? btw I'm not stalking you I just love your car . hee hee !
    Hi to everybody else.

Regards Paul

16. Jbob Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi @paulf, No no closer as yet as I have no spare time as of late. Not experienced any problems with what you mention but I will check oil levels just in case. Think the 3.0vcm engine was only available 2004-2009 so that may explain. The 2.4 didn't come with many of the features the 3.0 had as standard and as I've already owned a 2.4 engined Estima I wanted more power as I found it to be a bit underpowered due to its weight.

So do I take it you're going to take the plunge?

17. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    welcome Paul :Smile: