Introductions Hi... I've got a 7th Accord

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Mikey D, Sunday 9th Mar, 2014.

1. Mikey D Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi everyone, I've had my eyes on here a while, well, since AOC days. But I've never actually posted anything. So I'll start by saying a massive well done to anyone involved in the transition to the karma environment. My first question... I'm looking for a sleeve & spring kit. Anybody know owt?

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Welcome to the club @Mikey D, good to see you on the site. You've got a diesel Accord right? They use different shock absorbers than the petrol versions, someone a bit more knowledgeable can comment better on what will work and what won't..

3. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Welcome to HK Mikey D.

4. Mikey D Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That's right I have a '56 Diesel. Thanks everyone. Any help would be appreciated.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Mikey D likes this.
  6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I guess the question is, what's the difference between the petrol and diesel shocks in terms of aftermarket springs or replacing the coilovers completely? Can the same be used even though the part is different @Ichiban? If so, I can advise on good options - I just don't know when it comes to diesel-only stuff.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The difference on Aspec would be the diesel springs will be beefy to support the extra 70 -80 kg differential between the petrol and diesel 7th gens. The aftermarket kit is primarily engineered and geared towards the petrol cars so the diesel get the agressive stance as the spring are getting preloaded!LOL

That is why a lot of diesel owners go for springs only and think they look good but the damper takes a hammering , the compliance bush , the drop links ..LOL but it looks great.

Compromise is the common ground

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

That should help @Mikey D - if you want advice on good options that most of the petrol owners use then I can give a few. Just seems that either way it's not going to be as good a ride as the lighter petrol models.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Mikey D what you planning to do fella , let us know.

10. Mikey D Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hey fellas, thanks for your responses, great insight, Apologies in advance, this will probably be wordy... So I have set of wheels which I've spoken to DD about previously and he's been invaluble with his advice (cheers mate), the wheels are staggered 19" x 10.5&9.5 so will be a bit of a task to get on. To be honest my budget for suspension is £300-£400 (if I want to do anything in the near future) so i've been looking at the options and keep coming back to sleeve kits because i can't afford a full setup and i'm worried that lowering springs alone may swiftly wear out dampers etc due to the weight of the diesel as well as not offering any adjustablity (if required). But I can't find a UK sleeve kit (i've only really looked online) so keep getting dragged onto US websites, they have plenty for Accords over there, but obviously were a TSX over there so I don't know if they will fit to begin with, let alone whether it differs between Petrol/Diesel. And this is all after assuming I can get the wheels on in the first place with camber/flaring/a small amount of tyre stretch. So Ichiban.... What I am planning to do, is whatever my budget, wheels, lack of knowledge will allow. Why didn't I just buy a petrol :/ LOL.... Thanks again guys. I wish I knew my ultimate goal but at the moment I'm happy to look into any leads you may throw my way.

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

You'll need a lot of pull/roll and some negative camber (adjustable kit I mentioned) to get the 10.5s on the rear nicely, and also with the 19s in general it's going to be a stiff ride (though at least you don't have to slam her so hard for a flush fit), depending on the offset you might even need some spacers to clear the suspension setup.

I'd go for coilovers personally, regardless of having to wait, for £400-600 the "alright" sets start. "Tein Basics" are popular on a budget, BuddyClub, BC Racing too. You'd want fairly stiff springs to make sure that with the weight of the diesel it doesn't bottom out over bumps. I would need to double-check, but I'm 99% sure that TSX coilovers work on our Accord without adjustment (can someone confirm?), I haven't lowered mine as it stands so I'm not positive.

Even though the diesel is a marginally different with the suspension, you'd still have the same wheel issues on a petrol :Grin: But yeah, VTEC 'yo.

@Mr CL7 tagged for some input.

Mikey D likes this.
  12. Mr CL7 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Faz Kent
    Hello Mikey D. Thanks for the tag Leo.
    :Thumbup:

Right looking at your wheel specs they are going to be a brute to fit but can be done if you really want to where time and money allows. However some important pointers to remember :-

1) Offsets IMO are one of the most important things you need to know as this determines how far in the arch or out of the arch the wheels may sit.

2) Depending on the offset (lower the no the more it will stick out / poke), higher the number the more it will stick in.

3) low offsets wide wheels - problem
    High offsets wide wheels - not as much

3) As we know they are 9.5J and 10.5J wheels so you may need to do arch / flare work to "fit" them as well as some serious camber so they don't catch your arches or worst still scrape the inside of your suspension strut (high offset & wide wheels).

4) Tyre stretching IMO is a much cheaper way of accommodating wide wheels with extreme offsets but they come with there own safety issues for some. I have run stretch tyres on many occasions "safely". It is not every bodies cup of tea tbh. Positives are that it may stop if not completely reduce your arch / suspension scraping which is good. Then you can dial in less camber to save that precious tyre tread.

5) I have gone from OEM suspension to Eibach springs, to buddy club coil overs to BC racing extra low coil overs with custom spring / damp rates and finally back to OEM A spec suspension. Each setup rides and feels different. I did like my car stance aggressive, low, cambered, tyre stretched and yes it did stiffen everything up a shed load more but did I care? NO. It was a way of life being "low & slow". You definitely will achieve the planted feeling when driving trust me but do not act crazy on round about's with stretch tyres as you may end up dead. The adult sensible approach is required running stretch tyres. I would definitely recommend the BC racing coil overs (adjust to your requirement) or go for the OEM A spec.

To finish off....
    I have run various offsets and widths on my CL7 some with crazy camber some with sensible tyre stretch. It all depends on what you want to achieve and your budget. Hope that has helped those who are thinking of venturing to the dark side.

If you need more advise / help give me a shout.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  13. Mikey D Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

All really helpful stuff. Thanks. How much for a set of tein basics?

Mr CL7 likes this.
  14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Normally about £650-700 domestically, probs about £525-550 if you imported from the states or Japan.

15. Mikey D Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks both, sensibility won't be an issue @Mr CL7, I bought a diesel! Haha, my car won't ever be a street car. But I do love the stanced look. Not mad on loads of camber but I don't mind a bit. I'll see what is required and if my car ends up on its tip-toes I may need to re-think my wheel choice. But for now.... tyrestretch.com thanks all.

Mr CL7 and DeviateDefiant like this.
  16. Mikey D Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Development! Some good news (for me anyway...) When I bought my wheels the guy selling them told me they were staggered 9.5/10.5j - even measured them in front of me. What I did not know (noob) is that widths are measured from bead to bead. Not lip to lip. So I just went to check and even though the rears do measure 10.5" wide overall. They are 9.5j, I assume this will make them easier to fit when the time comes. Thanks again for your advice. It's still highly relevant.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  17. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

9.5j will be far easier to work with! Do you know the offsets?

18. Mikey D Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'll check now....

19. Mr CL7 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Faz Kent
    You may still need to do arch work to fit these..

20. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Depends on the offset though, if it's higher he might be okay.