Introductions Hi, just found AOC whilst looking for a clue to a clutch problem with my 2006 2.2CDTi

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by KENQW, Tuesday 28th Feb, 2012.

1. KENQW Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ken Devon
    Occasionally the cluth pedal gets firm to push down and then I can't move the gear stick and select any gear. The pedal stays down when released and I have to raise it with my toe. The clutch then works perfect for days before it happens again. Usually when stopped at traffic lights with car out of gear. Honda advised faulty Master cylinder, then faulty slave cylinder. Both replaced but no different. Now say need a new clutch. I don't understand if the pedal is depressed why the clutch doesn't disengage to allow gear selection.

Has anybody experienced a similar problem? Thanks

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Re: Hi, just found AOC whilst looking for a clue to a clutch problem with my 2006 2.2

This should not happenng on a car where both critical components have been changed, but there could be few possibilities to why this is happening

1)The hose pipe which connects the master to the salve cylinder has developed a blockage, normally happens when the pipe is subjected to hard knock. any of the metal pipe are bent

2) There is air in the system and has not been bleed correctly.

3) The clutch fork is bent ,you won't know that until the car is stripped.

Reading between the lines I think you may have selected a garage where they are throwing parts to isolate a problem without understanding the root cause.

3. KENQW Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ken Devon
    Re: Hi, just found AOC whilst looking for a clue to a clutch problem with my 2006 2.2

thanks for the reply. It is strange that it happens infrequently,usually after a long journey. Can I see easily if the pipes are bent or does the car need to be raised. The garage has bled the system presumably each time the cylinders were changed.
    All work was done at a Honda main agent so one assumes they know what they are doing.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

Sorry if this sounds patronising have you worked and are aware of the location of this pipe? use you hands to feel the kinks or deformation. Get a helper to press the clutch pedal whilst feeling the pipe is you get a bulging sensation on the rubber hose then you are sure the pipe is damaged. On the master cylinder there are metal pipe do a physical to see the bends are not kinked abnormally which can restrict fluid pressure.

if you can't do this then I would suggest you go back into the dealership and this time insist you speak to the service manager and tell him \her to look at this problem.This bring the ownership of this problem to his\her lap to with a view of a satisfactory result.Majority of the time service managers don't get involved with day to day troubleshooting,its left to the workshop foreman and technicians to take charge.

By bypassing the first layer of service management at the dealership it is in their interest to have this longer term issues resolved. if you don't get desired result you can easily escalate this to Honda UK customer contact team to seek help.

5. KENQW Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ken Devon

not patronising at all, just gratefull for your help.
    I looked at the pipes after seeing your reply and the rubber one which goes to the reservoir seems ok but not checked with pedal depresed. Metal ones look ok at first inspection but will be more diligent now having read your response. You are right it is dificult to get past the service desk and speak to the engineers but I guess I will have to be more assertive, having already spent £400 with no result. I don't want to spent another 700 anless I'm sure.

Thanks again your help is appreciated. What a great site to belong to, I wish I had found it earlier.

6. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi Ken and welcome.

I agree with CJ, if you received an incorrect diagnosis and paid money out but still have the fault, that doesn't satisfy the customer service standards Honda set themselves.

If you explain calmly pleasantly and firmly to the service manager what the problem is and raise with him/her how he/she proposes to make good this unsatisfactory situation, then let's see how they propose to resolve it.

Look forward to hearing how you get on.