Introductions Hi, just got my first Honda

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by richb87, Sunday 15th Mar, 2015.

1. richb87 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom richard rhyl
    Hi everyone from Denbighshire in north Wales!

Recently my focus cmax developed a serious gearbox problem and its to much for me to fix considering I had a list of other faults to get through, so what's reliable and well made? Thought a BMW but I don't like them next was Mazda or Honda ... You guessed it! Got myself an Accord in grey.

A few small issues with it and one that needs immediate attention but I got it at a reasonable price so I'm very happy!

2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Welcome @richb87 - what small issues does she have?

Congratulations on the new car, and welcome to worry-free motoring, especially so coming from a Ford!!

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Welcome to Honda Karma Richard :Hey:

Congrats on your first Honda !

4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Congratulations on becoming a Honda owner, and welcome to HondaKarma :welcome:

Lots of helpful members on here, so hopefully we can help you get any teething issues sorted quickly.

5. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Richard, welcome to HK! :welcome:

Like you I've had a poorly Ford and considered a BMW for my next car but then decided on an Accord! Although, in my case, I got the Tourer as I needed the extra boot space. :Smile:

6. richb87 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the welcome guys, issue's are as follows

Engine light on and after a few minutes of driving goes into limp mode although once warmed up and engine restarted its fine and light goes out sometimes
    Water in one of the headlights
    No gas struts to hold boot open (very annoying!)
    Some scratches on the body work and a badly kerbed alloy

Anyway I'm going to give it a full service all filters engine and transmission oil etc as I think its been standing since October as that's the last time it was taxed

Other then them issues the engine is really smooth and for a car thats quite low the ride is comfortable

Thanks again

7. Skooshbag Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Lee Dumfries
    Welcome to HK Richard. I have only been a member for a few weeks, as I only popped my Honda cherry back in January with a 6thGen Accord. Folks here be a fountain of knowledge.

8. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    Hi and welcome to HK. I'm sure you'll have better luck with the Honda than the ford (I owned a Ford, so can speak from experience). Would be great to see some more pictures, as your car looks pretty good. See if you can get a code reader to connect to the OBD-2 port on your car, and you may be able to get a reading on what is causing the engine warning light to illuminate.

9. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Welcome to HK @richb87 , glad you have found an accord.

The gas strut issue is something I have worked out but just need to buy the parts to fit it, but I will make a DIY once I have done that

Your limp mode, I would check your EGR valve and give it a clean out - that clogging up can cause limp mode, stalling, performance issues etc. There are DIY's on here showing how to do it

The rest of your issues should be nice and straight forward

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Richard, get the code read for the check engine light and limp mode but as @Nighthawk has said already it is very likely to be clogged EGR for which have guides for.

11. richb87 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Great thanks for the advice, I will be able to clean the EGR valve on Tuesday so I'll start a thread with pics etc. Will the gaskets have to be replaced? If so any idea where I can get them I have tried eBay and euro parts but nothing. I may get away using the old ones but just in case.

If EGR clean fails I'll get a diagnostics on it. Alternatively is it worth buying a diagnostic tool something like the one pictured?

Labeled as 'ELM327 OBD2 OBDII USB Cable V1.5 Car Diagnostic Interface Scanner Tool' few quid off ebay
    - - - Updated - - -
    Also will post more pics when I get a chance to clean it up had a lot on this weekend :Smile:
    Screenshot_2015-03-15-18-41-53.

12. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Definitely worth getting a cheap OBD2 reader, the cheaper, standard ELM327 uses Bluetooth and so works with Android devices (but there is a more expensive wi-FI version for Apple devices) as having a reader available takes out most of the guesswork, as nobody can be sure about this current issue (it could just as easily be a boost problem or sticking IMRC).

If/when you do clean the EGR valve, I think the most important thing is making sure it fully closes - yours is electric (later ones are vacuum) so best to stick 12v on it to make sure it opens/closes without sticking.

13. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Welcome to HK Richard. :welcome:

You may find these two guides for 7th Generation diesel Accords helpful. The first was for a PFL like yours and the second is from a FL You may be able to re-use the gaskets, but it's probably safer to get new ones.
    EGR Valve Removal & Clean N22A1

EGR clean - Facelift

14. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Good luck with the EGR clean, the gaskets are metal but as @Nels suggested, it is safer to get new ones but just see what condition they are in and make the judgement call based on that.

The soot from the engine causes, over time, deposits within the EGR causing the air flow to eventually become restricted and the passageways blocked hence the EML.

Good luck, let us know how it goes. For your car, @Nels guide is the correct one.

15. richb87 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for all your input guys I have started a new thread with the details. EGR clean went well but the EML is still on

16. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Get the code read if you can and then we'll know what's wrong.

17. richb87 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

p1384 is the code as far as I know it's glow plug/relay related going to have them tested as soon as I can, But the light has gone off for now so I'll see how it goes

18. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello:Bye:and:welcome:to :gohonda:Karma