Electrical & Lights Hi, my name is Andy Small and my car is a Honda Jazz 2003

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2001-2008)' started by Andy Small, Thursday 19th Nov, 2015.

1. Andy Small Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Burnham
    Recently my 1.4 Jazz has been playing up and I wonder if anybody else might identify with the symptoms and remedy
    The orange EMS light will flicker and the engine eventually cuts out and will not restart.
    The AA were called but of course the car started for them .
    Reading various forums suggested a poor solder joint on the Main Relay pcb.
    The car restarts OK after about 15 mins or so
    My problem is that I cannot locate where this Relay lives in my car. I would like to inspect it.

Can anybody advise please?

Andy Small

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Andy is your car a CVT car? GD1?

3. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    A bit more info will be much appreciated Andy..

4. Andy Small Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for your interest
    I went to Halfords and bought the Haynes manual today, very disappointed!
    Main Relay not even mentioned.
    Just heard from a mechanic that the 2003 Jazz has the Main Relay mounted at the rear of the interior fuse/relay pcb
    I will remove this PCB and inspect the relay later
    Much colder outside today and my car (manual gearbox) behaved fine . Engine picture attached

Andy

Attached Files:

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  6. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    Hi Andy,, sorry , cannot help with your problems.. just wanted to say welcome to the forum :Smile:

7. Andy Small Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Here are some pictures of fuse/relay board from my 03 Jazz
    The relays are mounted on the rear
    The main control relay for fuel pump and ECU has been ordered from Honda but meanwhile the falling temperature outside is keeping the cutting out problem at bay - only time will tell. No fault codes are logged.

Attached Files:

8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Welcome to HondaKarma @Andy Small :welcome:

Hope you find a solution to your issue. In the meantime, why not :garage: as it helps other members to help you if they know exactly which model you've got.

:goodluck:

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  10. Andy Small Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm afraid I'm no longer Honda Calmer as the car packed up completely. The replacement relays did not help. One thing that bothers me is that the dashboard key indicator lamp is flashing with either of our keys inserted and ignition on.
    With a good coded key should this happen ?

11. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

As far as I know the key symbol should disappear once the key is inserted. If I turn off my car but don't remove key, the symbol blinks for a second or two before disappearing. Normally I would have said its looking like an immobilizer fault but that wouldn't explain why the car starts after a bit as per your original post. others might have more experience with this..

When you put the key in and crank, what happens? car cranks but doesnt fire up? does the key symbol keep on flashing?

12. Andy Small Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, Thanks for your interest.
    The car now will not start after 15 mins as before, not even the next morning. Supplies to the ECU seem OK , is it feasible to fit a S/H ECU or are they coded to the car.
    Can they be bench tested ?
    Can the keys be checked for valid coding ?
    We do have a local Honda workshop if all else fails !

Andy

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I think you can only reprogramme them, I don't think there is test for immobiliser but I haven't been into that menu for a long time so I maybe wrong.

14. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Hey Andy, you can actually buy ECU with full key set off eBay for £80.. if it works then awesome, if it doesn't then just sell it back on eBay. but that is assuming you are able to complete the task of swapping them out yourself otherwise best way forward will be to get the car towed to your local Honda and get them to diagnose the issue for something around £85 (i read it on some other thread).. this way you will have a clear direction and if the repairs are too expensive, note down the issue and get an independent to solve it.

the car being from 2003, its not going to be worth more than £750 - £800 unless you are the first or second owner and it has had very low mileage so you need to keep your costs at minimum.. and fault identification is key!!! pardon the pun :Smile:

best of luck..

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I don't think getting a second ECU with keys is the way to go. You need further diagnoses.

If the immobiliser symbol continues to flash after you have inserted the key then this is where the problem lies.
    If so, then I wonder if this is a intermittent immobiliser transponder receiver unit failure. It goes around the key barrel. There should be a way of testing this.

I assume you're car battery is in good condition ?

16. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Hmm.. you could be right. I asked him if the car cranks or not which he hasnt replied to. He needs to explain what does he mean by car not starting? is it not starting but cranks fine? is it dead with turn of key doing nothing in ignition?

But as you said, condition/charge of the battery should be the first check. I have come across issues with Yaris where the immobilizer light kept on blinking even after the car was cranking. A change of battery for the remote key solved that. A second Yaris had plain key with immobilizer and everything seemed fine yet the car wouldn't start. A good overnight charge of the battery resolved that issue.

We still don't know the full story/diagnosis so unless Andy supplies all of it, I will agree that his best bet is to take it for diagnosis.

17. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Welcome to HK @Andy Small
    Whilst reading through this thread, I must admit, my first thought was the battery. Cold conditions and increased drain on it from the repeated attempts to start her without being re-charged fully would be the first thing to look at. Can you give it a good re-charge, or borrow/test from another one?

18. Andy Small Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for all your thoughts on this problem, the battery is fine and the engine turns over nicely but no starter with two coded keys, no fault codes stored ,
    I won't spend too much but I will get the ECU tested and repaired and updated ( about £250 + )
    I will let you know how I get on.

Andy

19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I have had a 8th Generation Civic before which wouldn't start, had same symptoms as yours, for that it simply needed the keys reprogramming to get it going again.

20. Andy Small Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The plan is to get the ECU tested off the car ( about £40 ) and I will post an update

Andy