Introductions Hi, New CR-V i-DTEC with 9 speed auto 160 BHP

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by BEA, Tuesday 8th Dec, 2015.

1. BEA Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom BEA London
    I'd read a few queries about the new diesel and 9 speed auto here so happy to answer any questions now I've (just) got my hands on it

2. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    welcome to the forum :Smile:

BEA likes this.
  3. BEA Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thankyou :Smile:

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Welcome buddy would love to hear your comments on the 9 speed twin turbo car. Please do post a few more pictures of her when you get a mo in the garage.

5. BEA Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I wouldn't try to sum it up after 1 week - so I will promise a follow-up - but here are a few initial reactions:

• Engine 1.6 Dtec 160hp surprisingly willing given its cylinder volume. 10 sec 0-60 is a bit slower than I'd have liked but due to the many gears the initial take off at roundabouts etc. is actually reasonably fast. A bit noisy for a newly designed diesel but it is what it is
    • Gears. Well I'd fretted a lot over this Auto as the ZF9 got off to a patchy start with other models/brands. It's not always smooth or immediate (vs Mercedes/VW /DSG autos etc.) but I have more trouble learning the 'joystick gear shift' so far.

• Put together the engine+transmission has two distinct personalities.
    1) Loafing along quietly at 1500 -2000 RPM in the highest reasonable gear and
    2) 3000 -4000rpm under hard acceleration in the lowest possible gear (it makes 0-62 in 10 secs using only 1 - 4th)

The 9 speed box can match these two personalities to virtually any road speed /dynamic you find yourself at. There are reportedly a couple of slow shift points (4-5 and 7-8) but I've not noticed them in normal driving yet so I'm not going to go looking !​

So to date the Engine+transmission combination seems very capable.

Other niggles (Warning - I'm an obsessive engineer)
    Why deliver a car that already needs 5 or 6 software updates to the AudioNav system straight away and takes about 1 hr idling on the drive (it shuts off after 20 mins otherwise) to do. Doesn't the factory have WiFi?
    iPhone integration to Hands Free Telephone is not great (e.g. No iMessages, alerts etc.) but hopefully they catch up with IOS9 in future software releases. I'm told android phone integration is better but haven't tried it yet . .
    Why is a 2015 AudioNav still running 2012's Android 4.0.4 ICE cream sandwich version! Not sure I wouldn't prefer to have seen the later security patches of Android 5 and 6 in a wifi connected device I'm driving down the road!
    Boot/ door needs more slamming than it deserves or it doesn't fully latch and then alarm won't set etc etc. Fortunately I learnt about this early - I will see if it eases up in a week or two or the dealer promised to have a look at it.
    I can see no ergonomic merit in the joystick gearshift - it just means no one knows how it works without squinting at the labelling. Likewise having gone for a separate 'Park' button why not pair that to a Volkswagon style electric handbrake?

That said I can pick holes in anything so I'd give it 9 out of 10 so far.

More pictures once I'm free in the daylight next!
    - - - Updated - - -
    Regarding 'roundabout take-off' 0-20 in about 2 seconds, 0-40 in 5 so it has no trouble nipping into the traffic gaps

MickyB, FirstHonda and Racy Jace like this.
  6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Welcome to HondaKarma @BEA :welcome:

That's a great write up on your CR-V experience so far. I couldn't agree more about the 'Connect' system.

Good to see you getting involved all over the forum too...:GoodJob:

7. BEA Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks - there's clearly a mass of knowledge and experience here !

8. BEA Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Under the bonnet . . .

... IMG_7718sc. It's not actually bent - my 'phone panorama' had trouble wiggling past the bonnet stay :Smile:

MickyB, SpeedyGee and FirstHonda like this.
  9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I always have trouble trying to get a good picture of the whole engine bay, warping aside, your's is not a bad effort :Smile:

BEA likes this.
  10. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

HELLO:Bye:and:welcome:to:gohonda:KARMA

BEA likes this.