Introductions Hi, new to the forum

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Roachuk, Monday 2nd Sep, 2013.

1. Roachuk Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, purchased my 2007 Accord Ex 2.2d from the lease company after having sole use of the car for 5 years and my company changing the car policy forcing me to buy a car. Now on 165,500 miles, there have been a few niggles but I like the car. Comfort is very good, economy never drops below 50mpg (according to the computer) and it is reliable.

Niggles:

• Heavy on clutches - is on number 3 and I have never had a clutch fitted to any car since 1974 so it is not me!
    • Rust appearing along top of windscreen
    • VSA light a month after buying, luckily sorted under a non Honda warranty.

Current problem is what I think is a faulty speed sensor. Started to play up last week in London, heavy traffic after a 200 mile drive from Wales. Speedo wavering, sat nav not knowing where vehicle was and handbrake warning chime going off. Took to main dealer next day as was back to normal next morning and glitch free drive to Boston (100+ miles). They found no fault codes and checked all electrical connections, found no fault, charging me £90 for the privilage. Today, in traffic, same thing, eventually no speedo, management light and limp mode.

If anyone has any idea which sensor this could be, I would be very greatful. I would prefer local garage to main dealer but it would help if I could point them in right direction. Not too impressed paying good money and nothing to show.

Cheers

Colin

Last edited: Monday 2nd Sep, 2013
  2. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi Colin and welcome. If it's going into limp home mode and the management light is on then it should be storing fault codes. Hopefully someone else might have a better idea what it might be.

3. Roachuk Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Dave

Thanks, when the dealer looked Friday the management light had not illuminated, I had only done around 5 miles then stopped. Next morning it was normal. Today I continued to drive and it lost a bit of power and management light came on.

Cheers

Last edited: Monday 2nd Sep, 2013
  4. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Sorry to hear your woes bud.. The code will be there now for sure, take it back in and get them to plug her in.. Surely they won't charge a second fee?

I know what you mean about the £90 thing way over the top.. I used a local village garage last prob I had and they pulled up and cleared fault code and rectified prob with parts I bought from Holdcroft far cheaper than my local dealer could provide..

Wish you luck with it..

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi and welcome mate. In hindsight bud that car should have been returned at that mileage. As for your fault need to know is it a yaw rate sensor fault ? what is the specific error code.

what you are describing is a a serious fault which is shutting down the car..

6. Roachuk Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for input.

Update

Taken to a back street garage, eastern europeans, they have high end test equipment. Fault came up as open circuit on gearbox speed sensor. While I watched, the guy took off the plastic engine cover and pointed out that the air filter box was not secured. He removed the air flow sensor and air box and the gearbox sensor is very tight to get at so called over his colleague with skinny arms who pulled the multi connector from the sensor. The connector had not been pushed home properly. He gave it a clean and pushed it home with a loud click. The airbox has a bolt through the base into a captive nut; the nut was stripped bare. Car now working fine, fault code cleared and management light off. £30.

In the morning I am relaying this to the dealer. I will demand a full refund as they supposedly checked all connections, and carried out "free" healthcheck; why then did they not comment on loose airbox? They are the only people ever to touch the car apart from the last oil service. The sensor has to be pulled to change the clutch, they have put in 2!

I will update tomorrow.

Colin

- - - Updated - - -

Hi IchibanAccord. The fault was not shutting down the car, just making it a bit awkward to drive with no speedo and loss of power. What do you mean car should have been returned at that mileage?

Last edited: Tuesday 3rd Sep, 2013
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good you sorted the issue would have been good to know what the error code was , as for the mileage your car at 170k it has reached it's useable life. You will get a lot issues from now on.. That's what I meant you should have returned the car to the lease company.

8. Roachuk Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Each to their own, it had 124k on it when I bought it for £4800. With the high miles I do it doesn't make sense to buy a low mileage vehicle at a premium and run the mileage up. I figure that I have had value out of the car already, still returns 50+ MPG over every tankfull and is a good drive. If it develops a major problem I will sell as is and cut my losses.

Don't know the actual code but it was for an open circuit on gearbox speed sensor, the one beneath the air cleaner.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    However on I-CTDI past experiences and history it would clearly indicate it makes sense to buy low mileage cars at a premium just for it reliability... the logic which you have used is applied by majority of the 2nd or even 3rd hand users thinking a lower valued car with high mileage make economical sense when it does not on this car..its does for the I-DTEC all day.

As your cars piles the miles like you are doing the engine will fail and when it does they fail big style rendering the car useless you may not find yourself not cutting your losses but taking a massive 3500 K hit. All it takes is a timing chain snap,VSA pump,high pressure pump,front driveshafts and clutch to make your life a misery..

surprised to see the gearbox sensor lose.

10. Roachuk Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VSA has been replaced already under warranty.