Introductions Hi

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Wednesday 20th Mar, 2013.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I've been here a few days but forgot to say hello here, apologies!

Currently living in Glasgow. Originally had a 6th Generation Accord 2.0 petrol and then got a Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI (130) which was nice to drive but after 60K (I think it was heavily clocked though) things started to go wrong. My main driving is daily short runs so the diesel was probably a bad choice.

So, it's been traded in for a 2005 Honda Accord 2.4i Executive Salon, silver with 62K on the clock and 17" wheels. I had to travel down south for it but the savings of about £1.5 - £2K made it worthwhile. I expected to have to do a few minor stuff on it and hopefully I'll still be quids in once done.

The to-do list so far....

1. Tyre pressures on the front wheels are dropping, N/S faster and there's vibration at 60-70mph. Found out today there was a bloody big nail through the very edge so I just replaced both front tyres and had them balanced. I put Uniroyal Rainsport 2 on.
    2. I'm getting that floating steering feeling that's been mentioned on here even with brand new tyres. A full check on the wheel aligment etc will be arranged. It's probably just the tracking but I saw a good report on here that someone posted so I'll get that done. (now booked in for next weekend). 4 Wheel Alignment done to specs for a 2.4 tramlining and it feels like a new car now and the steering is super tight. Apparently, there are also alignment specs for a non-tramlining car but the leeway allowed is quite big and may not have fixed it.
    3. Brake pads and discs all round need replacing. I'm going to attempt this myself using the helpful guide on here! Turns out I'll get at least another year out of them so the parts are going in storage until my big service at 75K where I'll then get it done. Bled the front two brakes and it's improved the travel with the brake pedal.
    4. Clutch pedal was making a loud noise and a clicking feeling could be felt in the pedal. Sorted out thanks to advice on here by spraying Silicone lubricant in the relevant place.
    5. I'm getting squeaks and rattles in the dash in exactly the same places as someone else on here has reported. Some registration plate tape has been bought as it's got a lovely padded feel so should hopefully be able to wedge it into the right places. Will also do a full interior check and make sure everything is tight etc. I hate rattles! lol (not got round to this but have temporarily eliminated squeaks and rattles with Honda's special anti-rattle device). I've got another post about this and it turns out there's bolts and nuts missing within the console area and SatNav. New bolts in and small fabric discs used in select places to eliminate almost all of the rattles.
    6. Meguires Clay bar and premium wax on standby for this weekend along with a huge tub of G3 cutting paste and touch up paint for some of the stone chips. All done, see photo below :Smile:
    7. The engine has a whining sound and the pitch follows the RPM's. I've still to look this up (I believe this is normal? It's not the gearbox oil as it follows the revs even when in neutral so perhaps just a belt is a little tight?). I'm not bothered by this now as it seems normal.
    8. Driver's door sash needs replacing - got the parts but still to mess it up (this isn't happening anytime soon now. Looking for a quick alternative instead). I've got a thread on this and I ended up masking the windows etc and using a Matt Black Acrylic Spray. It looks like the original sash now and seems to be hard wearing.

Phew! Nothing major though and I've decided against doing a brake fluid flush and gearbox oil change for just now as the big 75K service should cover that I think?

So far this forum has helped a lot and all I can offer back in return at the moment is if anyone in Glasgow has their management light on then give me a shout as I have a code reader which I can hook up for you. :Smile:

Cheers guys.

Last edited: Saturday 30th Mar, 2013
  2. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Finally got a photo done, sorry for the poor quality but only had the phone on me.

Gentle wet sanding in places
    G3 cutting/polishing
    Touch up paint for stone chips
    Full clay bar rub down from top to bottom
    Meguires carbonara wax
    All rubbers cleaned down with silicone wax and interior cleaned
    Leather seats cleaned and nourished
    Tyre dressing

5 hours in freezing conditions but glad it's finally done. :Smile:

2005 Honda Accord.

Last edited by a moderator: Monday 25th Mar, 2013
  3. SteveT Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Steve West Midlands
    Looking good :Thumbup:

4. mostaghimi Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

When you find out about the whine with the revs will you please let us know . It drives me crazy thanks

5. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Hey bud nice motor same as mine except the engine is petrol that is :Smile:

Very nice :Smile:

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    The Exec model is the best specced 7th Generation and the 2.4 is the best engine, so good choice sir :Thumbup:

Nice job on the detailing. She looks just like :Smile:

You do get a bit of whine from the engine but it shouldn't be too noticeable. Does the whine get loader as you load the steering (turn the steering wheel) ?

I hate creaks and noises too, luckily it's creak free in my Accord.

7. declanswan Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've found all hondas have a certain whine, even with myback turned i can tell its a honda coming down the street towards me !!!

8. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Cheers guys, I've found the whine only really comes after I've pushed her hard but it almost goes away again. It's very noticeable in reverse but that doesn't bother me. I'm just glad it doesn't suffer from that 6th Generation whoop whoop sound! lol This is definitely the car I've been waiting for (hence travelling half the length of the country to get) and once I get the wheel alignment/tracking sorted then I'll be a happy chap because at the moment it just doesn't feel planted at all :Frown:

- - - Updated - - -

Fortunately, you can't see the rear bumper! lol It's been painted in the best and there's a few marks on it, not very noticeable but enough to bug me - but I've no parking sensors so I'm going to leave it as it is until I get used to judging the back end!

I've not listened out for that but will do now. It's more at low speed and only really noticeable with the window open and going past parked cars.

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Better to have a characteristic whine of a trusty K series block than a clatter of an unreliable engine huh LOL

- - - Updated - - -

DOH ! I meant she looks just like my car

10. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I've just noticed my right headlight is a little fogged up. Bugger. Does it ever end? lol Oh and speaking of clatter, my previous car the Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi (130) sounded like a tractor at the best of times so this engine is near silent for me! :Smile:

11. vanderlei Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

edi
    Hi mate,
    lovely car you have there:Smile:
    Do you know any independent Honda garages in Scotland?
    I'm in Edinburgh and still looking for a nice accord for myself:Wink:

12. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    You could check out Clydeside Garage in Paisley. I've never used them but they have good reviews. I visited them yesterday and Ian doesn't work there but the owner Richard seems to be very knowledgeable and honest. I believe their prices are excellent also.

Last edited: Saturday 30th Mar, 2013
    vanderlei likes this.
  14. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Thread updated in red. :Smile:

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Welcome along bud nice looking ride.