Electrical & Lights HID D2S Bulbs

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Tuesday 26th Aug, 2014.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I've got HID lights but I noticed last night they are not very bright and the colour temperature is very warm. Basically they look like the yellowish halogen lights. My Accord's HID lights make you think "and the Lord said let there be light!" So what's the deal with the CR-V, are the bulbs just a low colour temperature and does anyone know what temp they are?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would put them between 4300K 5100K mate which is ideal anything higher is lower light intensity. Just change them for lke for like and see the diffrence.

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I'd just change the bulbs too mate, personally I like 5000-6000k, at the higher end you're getting a subtle blue tint, but 4300ks can often look yellow tinged to me (probably what you have stock). As CJ says, the further you get away from 4300k, the less luminosity you'll get for the actual wattage.

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    So are they looking a little dim because they are old and need changing?

I like the slightly cooler ones also, I thought the closer you get to daylight the better with regard to visibility at night so would that not mean 6000-6500K? Although 5500K is considered daylight in photographic terms (hence flashguns being that)

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Aye, the reason 4300k turned out to the be the most popular is that it's very close to the colour temperature of moon light (around 4100-4200k), it looks more natural in the dark than bulbs which are closer to day light (about 5500k as you say). Though personally I find the more yellow bulbs tiring, and those closer to day light keep me more alert on the road.

That's getting into a big ol' complicated topic known as "black-body theory" which looks at heat output vs. colour temperature for natural objects, then you have to factor in the human perception side of it:

Black_body_visible_spectrum.

The actual lumen output vs. wattage for a given temperature I believe is to do with the colour rending index.

Nels likes this.