Electrical & Lights Hid headlight conversion

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by bedlam, Sunday 25th Jan, 2015.

1. bedlam New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Andy Glasgow
    Hi All

Just wanting to know if the 8th Generation headlights r ok with the HID conversion, in the legal sense I mean, as I rem headlights had to be E marked for HIDs .

Any info on this ?.

Cheers
    Andy

2. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Can't speak for UK, but in Belgium it's not fully legal, as with HID's you need:
    - auto levelling
    - head light high pressure cleaning system (how do you call this :Wink: )
    - a suitable headlighthousing
    Only the suitable headlight housing is OK with mine (is the same for halogen and HID bulbs). I'm missing the rest. But technical inspection (your MOT) can not check auto levelling. They only check for the high pressure spray system.
    I did a transformation more than a year ago, but went for cheap Chinese stuff (only 50 euro or so). Lasted 10 months before one of the transfo's couldn't stand the circumstances underneath the bonnet anymore).
    But I'm thinking of doing it again, but only after technical inspection (end March). So I'm OK for 1 year.

3. bedlam New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Andy Glasgow
    Thanks for the reply friend

the issue with the HIDs is the heat that is generated by the HID bulb.

Hence they made it illegal in the uk to retro fit the HID lights into cars which did not originally come with them. BUT I don't see Honda making a diff headlight unit for the cars that did come with the HID's from factory.

Regards
    Andy
    PS
    I don't have the light cleaning washer unit on the car so that's not an issue.

4. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hmmm.... I believe you misunderstand:
    1) HID's generate less (!) heat than normal halogen bulbs
    2) The housing for the lights is the same in the Accords, but what's missing with non-HID's is the washer unit and the autolevelling for the housing
    3) You do NEED a washer unit, so that IS an issue.
    Regards

SpeedyGee likes this.