Aftermarket Kit HID install in 2009 Tourer EX

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by TourerPete, Tuesday 1st Jan, 2013.

1. TourerPete Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all, new to the forums so go easy on me...

I have a 2009 Tourer EX, bought it second hand and love it - but it didn't come with HIDs so my fiancee bought me a HID kit off the interwebs as an xmas present.

I made the mistake of assuming it'd be a simple install as on other cars, however after consulting the manual and actually trying to fit the kit I ran into some problems (which most of you here probably know about) - Basically there is very limited space when accessing the bulbs from the wheel arches, so much so that I can't see what I'm doing and removing the bulb cover cap is so difficult that I'm 99% sure that I'd never get it back on again if I did indeed get it off.

So the question is - have any of you guys found an easy work-around for this?

Any help massively appreciated!

Pete

2. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi Pete

Only the ADAS-equipped Accord and Type-S come with Xenons/HID headlights as standard.

To retrofit, you'll have to take your front bumper off. I am guessing yours is a diesel? If so, there is very little space behind the headlights to to anything hence why the bumper has to come off. I have the factory fitted Xenons so sadly can't be much more help beyond this in fitting your lights but am sure another member(s) will pop along and tell you. To be brutally honest, I don't think another member here has done the HID kit retrofit onto an 8th Generation so you may well be the first (as I havent seen such threads).

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi Pete and welcome to AOC
    Never done this myself but here is a guide how to do it,its for the 7th Generation Accord but i should think it would be pretty much the same.
    http://hondakarma.com/threads/144/

I want to do this but i think HID are illegal now if you don't have self levelling lights and washers on your car,see here
    http://hondakarma.com/threads/321/
    can't be much more help but like Saj said you might be the first one to do this on 8th Generation.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
    Ichiban likes this.
  4. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
    Ichiban likes this.
  5. G12 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Penryn
    There's a whole thread on this already.... I had exactly the same question.

6. Adamk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Derby
    if you take the bumper of and lights out there is loads of room iv got the HIDs with the large packs they fit fine under the head light assy.you can't even see them.there are pics of mine on hear some where.

7. TourerPete Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Great stuff, cheers all.

8. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I strongly recommend you don't use that tool it will ruin the clips you need to grip the central black pin by using two flat head screw drivers at each end and gently pry the central pin out.

Or you can use a special tool made for this task I will upload the picture of it when I get home.

10. dennismate Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Epsom
    I would read this before you start dismantling the front of your car

(dead link removed by staff)

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 15th Feb, 2015
    Ichiban likes this.
  11. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Eventually VOSA/DFT and MOT testers will be coming down hard on this. T'is the way the cookie crumbles...

12. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Its for everyone's good and safety that we aren't blinded by badly adjusted headlamps.

Have you noticed the amount of bulbs out on other cars this time of year? Should be higher penalties for it and mandatory bulb kits in vehicles.

AccordCU2 likes this.
  13. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Most definitely agree :Smile:

14. TourerPete Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I thought as long as you had projected beams you were ok. I had xenons in my Civic, and going from that to the halogen Tourer I might as well be driving with just the sidelights on!

I agree they need to be restricted to cars that don't scatter the beam, but in the right car I'd say they do more good than harm.

15. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    saja is right. They are not legal in UK
    Get your self pulled and ask them to check out your lights at which point they will probably check it is a declared mod on your insurance which it prob won't be as aviva wouldn't cover me for legal lighting.
    On the other hand don't declare and hope you don't have an accident.
    or worse some hits you and says are they HID lights?

These fitted badly are lethal there has been one rta death in northampton attributed at least in part to after market (23 year old novice driver on country road at night)
    When you can't see how can you avoid the idiot dazzling you with his ebay specials.

If you don't have the legal kit don't fit simple as that or be prepared to take the conciquences

16. Nick Allen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Without the auto levellers they are a hazard, do folks ever consider other drivers, other road users and pedestrians!

Last edited: Thursday 3rd Jan, 2013
  17. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Since April last year, HID conversion is OK in the Netherlands, without autoleveling or headlamp cleaning installation. For once, the UK seems to more severe than one of the continental countries! I hope this conversion will become legal also in Belgium without the autoleveling or cleaning installation. One of my friends has HID conversion done on an Alfa Romeo GT, no projection lense. No issues at all. He has this since 5 years, and not even one other driver gave a signal light to warn for blinding or whatever. It's the correct adjustment of the lamp that does it all. This can be blinding also with normal, Halogene lights.
    I consider to go for a conversion also, but as it is now, I will need to change for 'Belgian' MOT. Lucky for us: first time is only after 4 years, and if your car is younger than 8 years and does not have more than 100k km, you're good for 2 years. Once 8 years: yearly check.

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    If you want to achieve a safe and legit upgrade buy a pair of D2S type headlight lamps from Honda (which will be expensive) then you are then covered for beam pattern being accurate, attach your ebay ballast and you are done.

19. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    You mean these?
    33116-SL0-003
    But will this fit in H1 ? And the connector is different to... I might need to change the headlight unit also with this.

20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup the 33116-SL0-003 D2S bulb so get the headlights item 1 33101-SEA-E63 HEADLIGHT UNIT, R. (HID) & Item 16 33151-SEA-E63 HEADLIGHT UNIT, L. (HID)

A cheap Chinese kit will do D2S its straight fit.

HID 7th gen.JPG