Electrical & Lights HID lights or not on EX and adjuster fault

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Geoff Davies, Monday 17th Nov, 2014.

1. Geoff Davies Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Geoff
    Hi all,

2005 2.2 CDTI EX saloon with satnav.

Have owned the car for about 6 months and apart from changing the drive shafts it’s been fine so far.

I was under the impression that this model had HID dip headlamps and automatic level adjustment as standard.

Last night was the first time for me to drive it in total darkness ( Need to get out more LOL) .

I was a bit surprised how low the lights are set. The top edge of the dips are about 5m away, and the mains about 30m away.

Strangely the car has a headlight level adjustment switch on the dash next to the VSA switch, which has no effect.

This morning I had a look, and fuse 20 in the car is fine, wires are connected to the back of the adjuster switch and I couldn’t find any auto adjust switch in the back passenger side wheel area.

Had a look at the headlights and can see the connectors are on the motors and adjustment points in them,

Tried the headlights and they come on instantly, rather then a slight delay that happens with HID’s.

I’m assuming that the car may have been ordered new without the HID lights if it has the adjuster switch on the dash.

I think that the level adjuster system must have failed when set at the lowest setting.

If that’s the case and I can’t track down the fault I may have to adjust manually and not bother with the motor adjusters.

Do the main beams adjust for level ?

Is there any way of finding out original equipment fitted to the car ? ( My wife’s Passat has a sticker with codes for all original fitted equipment, wonder if there is one on Hondas )

Any suggestions how to solve the adjuster fault would be welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Geoff

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Morning @Geoff Davies. If you can add your car to the Club Garage, she will show at the bottom of your posts. This will help us to help you.
    IIRC, only the 2.4 i-VTEC Ex PFL 7th gens had HIDs.

3. Geoff Davies Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Geoff
    Hi, and thanks for reply.
    Will upload a photo of car when I get a dry day to take one.
    Just looked at the headlamp assemblies and stamped on the side of the dip housing is 12v 55w H1.
    So I think you're right. They are not HID.
    In a way I'm glad given the price of replacement bulbs. Ha Ha.
    So I just need to resolve the non operating levelers or adjust manually.
    Still don't know if I can alter the main beam though.
    Regards, Geoff

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

The little motors move the entire headlight unit, so that will shift both dipped and main beam.
    I can hear them operating with the bonnet and door open with the engine off.

5. Geoff Davies Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Geoff
    Hi again.
    Thanks - that the whole reflector moves makes sense.
    I had seen elsewhere that the adjuster only works on the dip beam.
    Had a look and removed the plugs, sprayed wd40 into contacts and into adjuster hole. Failed to move the adjustment with a screwdriver but that could have been because I was afraid to push to hard.
    Still no luck, can't hear anything operating, so , think my next move is to see if there is power at the plugs.
    I guess there should be power between the centre pin and one of the outers when the leveler switch is moved from 0 to 3 or the other way.
    Regards, Geoff

6. Geoff Davies Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Geoff
    Ok. have checked if there's any power at the motor plugs and there isn't.
    Nothing between any of the pins or any of the pins and ground, with the lights on, ignition on (engine not running) when the switch is turned from 0 to 3 and back.
    Given that the fuse "20" is ok, the only thing left in the circuit is the switch.
    Any way of testing that other than by substitution.
    I bet Honda will want the earth for one.
    Regards, Geoff

7. Geoff Davies Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Geoff
    Anyone have any idea how to check power on switch wiring.
    Sort of stumbling in the dark without a wiring diagram.
    Geoff

8. Geoff Davies Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Geoff
    Just tested the switch plug for power and got 12.5v on one pin and 7.4v on another. Don't know what that's about.
    Anyway, given that there is power on the switch but none on the motors I must suspect the switch is u/s.
    Don't know if it's relevant but the bulb in the switch isn't working either.
    Have to get another switch and try replacing it.
    Regards, Geoff

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Hey @Geoff Davies, welcome to the club.

Only the 2003, and early 2004 EX had HIDs, given that the I-CDTI was only released in 2004 there might not even be a diesel out there with factory HIDs. @Ichiban?

You can always retrofit some HIDs into the halogen housing, it's not technically legal, but many members (myself included) and done this and pass MOTs with no problems.

My Pre-Facelift had broken adjusters where neither the dipped/main responded, and I never did track down the issue. I've since moved onto a Facelift where both the dipped/main work fine. @SpeedyGee, @Nighthawk do you have any thoughts?

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That is correct for those years in the EX trim however only the 2.4 had HID's the 2.0 did not get them. None of the 7th Generation diesel ever got Factory HID's.

11. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    My headlight adjusters work but i do have to turn them a fair bit for them to work. Fitting HIDs into halogens is an issue but our gen 7s use projector style lights. According to MOT regs, vehiles fitted with HID should have self levelling headlights or washers but there is a loophole, can't remember what it is now, which bypasses this rule as long as they are in eu marked projector housings.

Had mine in for 2 mots now and never had a problem

12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    If you have no self-levelling adjusters or washers you're fine, if you have them fitted and they're faulty, you'll fail. IIRC the regs state that if the components are present they must be tested, if they're not, well, there's nothing to test. There is a couple of MOT testers amongst the club, would be interesting to hear directly from them.

13. Nighthawk Guest

Thats it, last time i looked was when i fitted mine 2 yrs ago so i had forgotten exactly what the ruling was.

14. Geoff Davies Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Geoff
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Have ordered a switch from Fleabay so hope that will cure the headlight level adjustment problem.
    Not really bothered that the lights aren't HID's as long as they shine far enough up the road.
    I think that the 7.4v reading is the switch lamp supply as I have the dash lights dimmed.
    Will come back with the result of changing the switch.
    Fingers crossed, Regards,
    Geoff

15. Nighthawk Guest

Hope it resolves your problem mate, keep us updated

Look forward to seeing your car in the club garage

16. Geoff Davies Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Geoff
    Hi there - me again.
    New switch arrived, no difference.
    Have checked voltages on wires at switch and continuity from switch to headlight adjuster motors. All seem ok.
    The manual adjusters on the lights are turning freely, I have adjusted the lights up to what seems a more acceptable level with the switch on "0" but will have to check when it's dark.
    I have a mate who has an MOT garage so I hope he'll check them for me.
    Does anyone know if the motors can be checked with wires directly from the battery, seems strange that they could be siezed but the adjusters turn freely.
    Onward and upward,
    Regards Geoff

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The best thing to do is to look at the beam on a MOT station and look at height sensors on both front and rear axles . TBH you need to hook it up to HDS or equivalent to test these sensors are working.

18. Geoff Davies Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Geoff
    Thanks for the comment. I have already established they aren't auto levelling, but are adjusted from the rotating switch on the dash.
    Regards, geoff

19. Geoff Davies Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Geoff
    Looks like I'll have to try and find some levelling motors.
    Most of the breakers I've tried only have complete headlights.
    Have to find someone who has changed their lights because they were shot or cracked, but the motors are ok.
    Thanks for all the comments, will let you know how I get on.
    Best regards, Geoff

20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Can I ask how did they assess that ? Your answer will tell us a lot more.

Last edited by a moderator: Friday 21st Nov, 2014