General HID Lights

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BLUEONDA, Monday 27th Aug, 2012.

1. BLUEONDA Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, anyone know if the HID conversion sets are any good for the honda accord 2004 executive as i had some on my old vauxhall which were 6000k i think is about right. Thinking of getting some but still not knowing alot about hondas just yet. Any help and recommendations is appriciated. Thanks peeps.:Thumbup:

2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I might be wrong but i think they might fail you on MOT now if you fit HID and don't have headlights washers and self levelling lights.Check before you buy.
    If you are interested here is a very nice guide how to do it.
    http://hondakarma.com/threads/144/

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

4. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    No should pass MOT if beam is correctly adjusted but illegal to use on the road under eu law which UK adopts so you risk points and a fine and invalidating your insurance.
    Not worth the bother just get some decent bulbs.

5. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

HIDs also need to be self levelling so a savvy MOT tester will know they are not legit.

6. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

True,

To have HIDs under EU law you have to have self leveling lights (not the normal leveling switch in the car) and head light washers fitted. The exec has the washers but they don't have self leveling head lights.

don't think they can fail it on an MOT though (yet) but unless you have all this the system is not legal and you could get pulled by plod, you may well find your insurance company none to chuffed either if you need to make a claim. Not worth the hassle, plus MOT tester will see you have them as soon as they switch them on.

7. BLUEONDA Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Fair enough. Just a thought lol. How about someone recommending some good bulbs instead?

8. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

9. BLUEONDA Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cool I think I she'll give them a shot.

10. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

personal choice but i found them better than the osram and Phillips bulbs. I had the HID kit in my old A6 4500k which are brighter than your 6k but less blue. Got rid after being stopped by plod and told off. Gave the kits away had them in the wifes Passat to but no longer. The ring bulbs are alto brighter than stock but not to HID levels. Still far better though just don't buy from Halfords !

Last edited: Monday 27th Aug, 2012
  11. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Having HID's without headlight washers or self lectures is technically a MOT fail. BUT, while the MOT tester can easily check visually to se if you have washers there is no possible way to yes if you have self levellers. The only way to check would be to raise one end of the car to force the leveller into operation, as this is outside the testers remit they are obliged to give you the benefit of the doubt and pass the car. This is what my mechanic did when testing my car this year. The only issue you may have is IF the tester notices the manual levelling switch on your dash board which would give the game away. HID's aren't tested specifically, due to the number of different types of headlight (HID's, LED's) if the light output exceeds a certain light level they have to be tested under the new rules which include having the washers and levellers fitted. When you have your MOT test just make sure your lights are set at the correct level then they won't raise any suspicions.

I haven't heard of anyone yet being failed on their car having after market HID's even though a lot of people were worried about the new rules coming in.

It's worth remembering that some of the 7th Generation were fitted with HID's as standard so you could blag an OEM fit or if they see the aftermarket ballast say you replaced them due to the OEM ones failing.

12. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

This might be informative,does not suggest MOT failure.. But clears up some aspects re law blah blah blah...

(dead link removed by staff)

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 15th Feb, 2015
  13. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I'm pretty sure the headlights in your car are suitable for HID's. Mine is a OEM non HID headlight, But the underside of the unit has the fittings to secure a ballast to it. It would be an easy retro fit using OEM parts to convert it. It's the usual case of having generic parts for the different options. The only limiting factor is the price of the OEM parts, which makes an after market alternative far more reasonable.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have done a DIY on the prefacelift and it close to the factory install, but will be doing Helen car soon.

15. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I remembered your install after writing that comment. Didn't you go through the bottom of the light unit. OEM style?

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  17. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Can you remember how much your HID kit cost? I'd like to change my ballasts to slim line ones and hide them.

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    it was bought under a group buy and if I recall they were at £35.00 a set I bought two one as a backup .its the backup one which will be going into Helen car soon.

I went for the 35 watt 4300K lamps and I find them the superb.

These are going for 50-60 quid now on ebay.:Aghast:

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Maybe this weekend i will get the lights on Helen car , it seems to be good weather for a change.

20. jakey.goodman New Member Getting Started

Am I right in saying if you go under the headlight, you need to remove the bumper every time you need to replace the bulb? Shame there are no kits with connectors at the bulb rather then at the end of a long wire.