General Hid/xenon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AccordCU2, Friday 6th Jan, 2012.

1. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Can somebody explain to me a difference between these if there is any?Which is better?I don't know nothing about this but heard people talking about installing HID in their car.I don't even know what i got on my car.All i know that my car have projector lens.Thanks

2. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

HID and xenon are the same thing. HID stands for high intensity discharge and xenon is the gas within the bulb. The light is produced by two electrodes within the bulb which produce an arc, which in turn reacts with the gas. You can tell if your car has got HIDs by turning on your headlights and if they flicker slightly as they come on and then become brighter you have HIDs. Also they tend to be a completely different colour to standard headlight bulbs. HID headlights also have to have a self levelling device built into them, as they tend to dazzle other road users.

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I see.Thanks Rob.I will check later.

4. Azzy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rob beat me to it! albiet by a couple of days, I have factory fit HIDs- and you'll KNOW if you have them, first time I've had them and my thoughts went along,

(Please refrain from using inappropriate language - Ichiban)

'it's like daylight' and how are these legal? and you soon spot the non factory ones on upcoming cars.. usually if it's advertised as a projector, then it's just a decent non xenon bulb in a good (light producing) format.
    J

Last edited by a moderator: Monday 9th Jan, 2012
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Anyone had their car MOT'd recently with reto fitted HID's any feedback for members?

6. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Yeah I've got after market HID's and had it MOT'd this week.

Is you querying the new MOT rules regarding auto levellers and headlight washers and HID's?

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup were they questioning it ? I doubt they will fail it as the new regulations are so open ended to different interpretations.

8. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I'd already spoke to my mechanic before my MOT after concerns regarding the new rules on a different website so he lent me the VOSA Inspection manual DVD sent out a couple of months in advance of the official written manual they send out at the start of the year.

A lot of people have given their interpretation based on the pre released written inspection rules but if you watch the DVD it's pretty clear.

It basically said that as it's becoming impossible to differentiate between the different types of bulbs and LED's any headlight over 2000 Lumens (which HID's are) are required to have headlight washers and should also have auto levelling headlights. The 'should' refers to if they were the auto levellers were fitted at manufacture. Also cars fitted with after market lights over 2000 lumens need to be held to the same standard of testing.

It is very easy to check for the headlight washers, as they are visible in the bumper, and by their operation. This wasn't a problem for me as my Accord has them fitted as standard. But if they weren't present my mechanic would have failed the car on this point with having the HID's fitted.

The auto levellers need to be fitted but in the VOSA DVD it states that as it is not possible to test their operation (as this would require one end of the vehicle to be lifted to unsettle the device causing it's activation) "if the tester is not sure if the system is not working the benefit of the doubt must be given to the presenter of the vehicle". This grey are is the loop hole. I had already discussed this with my mechanic who said he would just give it the benefit of the doubt. But if a mechanic was to see the manual adjustment switch on the dash board confirming it is not auto levelling they would be required to fail the vehicle. So a lot of it depends on the tester and if you bought him a present at Christmas.

9. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My car was tested at HH just before xmas and had the HID's in then. No issues there.

10. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Paul, you shouldn't have expected any issues before xmas. But the new 2012 MOT rules which come in 1/1/2012 are likely to catch a few people out. I doubt the auto levelling rule will catch many if any people out. But the headlight washer requirement will catch out some of the older or lower spec cars which have had the HID conversion.