Engine & Gearbox High Biting Point

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by iceman2010, Friday 4th Sep, 2015.

1. iceman2010 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Sorry havent done an intro yet but will do shortly. I have the 2006 model and found that the biting point is almost to the top. Just wanted to know if this is how it should be or if the clutch needs replacing. don't have issue with changing gears of slippage. the revs do go a bit crazy though when shifting gears.

2. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    Hi bud petrol or diesel also what mileage is on the car since the clutch has been replaced if it has.

3. iceman2010 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Hi there, yeah sorry to include that. Its petrol, 48k. not been replaced as far as i know.

4. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

That'd not a lot of mileage for a clutch to wear but it all depends on the previous owners driving style.
    My clutch is on 62k and the pedal is about half way up to bite point.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Mines on 155K plus and still on original clutch :Grin:

As Brett says that's not a lot of mileage for clutch to wear out all. When was the clutch fluid last changed @iceman2010 ?

6. iceman2010 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    again don't know when it was last changed. only had the car a few months

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That would a cheap point to start at, get the clutch fluid flushed out with new fluid. See how it feels after that.

8. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

As speedy Gee said change your fluid also worth changing your gearbox oil if you don't no the history.
    Normally a high clutch is a sign of wear but with the low mileage I can't see that.
    Perhaps it's just the age of the clutch that's caused premature wear.

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Also they are quite bulky cars and the driving style of the last owner may have resulted in premature wear on the clutch.
    Perhaps it was driven around heavily loaded all the time.

10. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    The biting point on a standard design of clutch can rise as the plate wears. Personally I wouldn't take any action (or even worry about it) until slippage becomes obvious.

11. yanw Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Yan Gloucester
    I would second the "replace the clutch fluid" recommendation. It did wonders to my old '06 Civic.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Was your FR-V purchased at a Honda dealer ? if so you have 12 months guarantee no quibbles if that clutch has failed within that period the dealer has to fix it. If it is a private sale then you can't get sod all from Honda and put that down to the previous owners used the clutch pedal as a rest or he\she had bad hearing..LOL