Service & Maintenance high mileage accord

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by DomPerry, Friday 9th Oct, 2015.

1. DomPerry New Member Getting Started

Running a 2009 accord as a taxi, always put 0/30 oil in, now that's it's on 240,000 + is 0/30 still the best choice, or would it be wise to move to a different grade? Intend to hit at least 400,000 miles, I've had citroens and peugeots make it that far, certainly superior engineering in the accord! The Honda dealers always put 5/30.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Welcome to Honda Karma @DomPerry

Wow that's a lot of miles for an 8th Generation.

I assume your Accord is an I-DTEC ?

If it's not burning off the 0w30, then stick with that.

I've dropped you a private message by the way.

Last edited: Friday 9th Oct, 2015
  3. DomPerry New Member Getting Started

Ok, doesn't seem to burn any oil so will stick with the 0 30 thanks. Yes it is an I-DTEC. What a motor!!

John Hamer likes this.
  4. John Hamer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Waltham Abbey
    All that mileage and no issues? that speaks volumes. as you say what a motor, I thought my 7th tourer was the "dogs" and worried if I had made the right move going 8 and auto, but I am a happy bunny, this one is a blinder.

5. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Welcome to HK @DomPerry :welcome:

Looking forward to hearing more about your Accord and seeing some pictures.

My local dealer has a 350,000mile ICTDI Accord in for every service so it's always good to hear about other high milers. A true testament to Honda quality :gohonda:

Nighthawk likes this.
  6. royalblue Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi. Mine has done 135k and still running fine. Stick to correct grade and SAPS oil. You can get a 25l drum from oil man (sponsor here) and change it yourself every 5k.

7. DomPerry New Member Getting Started

Hi yeah thinking of doing the oil myself from now, usually get it done by every 8k at the latest. Is the filter easy to get at and remove? And Bottom cover comes off ok? Bit of a pain getting under it with just a jack in the drive!

8. John Hamer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Waltham Abbey
    Call me a Philistine but on my 7th Generation diesel tourer 195,000 when sold still running like a swiss watch, I used a Pela pump and dragged the oil out up the dipstick tube, every 6.000 miles, and changed the filter every 12,000 miles. The filter is easy to change, sitting right on top on the left as you look at it, just be careful not to crack the housing, I used a filter strap. The 8th Generation will get the the same treatment, except for oil grade which will now be 0-30 low saps whatever that means??

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I would guess that your engine will be warm a lot more than it's cold so it will be the '30' part of the oil that will be more applicable but as said 0W30 should be fine but if you did want to change I'd be more inclined to go to 0W40 or 5W40.

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    @DomPerry they'll be full guide here on HK on how to change the oil and more.

Have a search for. I'd post the link but I'm on my phone at the moment.

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team