Pre-Purchase high mileage FR-V diesel

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by abs_n, Friday 17th Jul, 2015.

1. abs_n Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

honda FR-V 2.2 I-CDTI
    hi i am looking to buy a high mileage diesel FR-V it has full service history.
    How long does the turbo last and clutch last?
    what should i look for?
    many thanks

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hi @abs_n, have search on the forum for noisy chain problems on high mileage I-CDTI engines.
    Not sure how long the clutches actually last for but they can be very expensive to replace especially if the DMF also needs replacing.
    You would want to make sure that the FR-V has been rigorously serviced.
    Generally don't hear of many problems associated with the turbos.

3. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    ^Ditto^

And cracked exhaust manifolds aren't unknown on the I-CTDI... best to check if it's been replaced.

4. abs_n Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Many Thanks

5. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    I-CTDI's don't have a lot of problems in Civic or FR-V. Might be the weight of the car or the way they're driven by the owner. You'll find more troubles in Accord or CR-V.
    FR-V is a not that heavy family car.
    But do check for the give problems above (chain and exhaust manifold). You never know. Turbo: no issue at all with these Honda's.
    An extra advice: 0W30 is the ideal oil for this engine. Check what it got in his past.

6. Perosteck Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jared Gainsborough
    Maybe of help or not, just got rid of my FR-V with 163000 miles, the bills were starting to increase and a strange noise on my last journey turned into a gearbox issue so rather than replacing i got rid of. Garage were not overly complimentary of the diesel with high milage.

7. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    @Perosteck
    You switched from FR-V diesel to FR-V petrol (1.8 AT) ?

8. Perosteck Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jared Gainsborough
    Was not really much choice in price range and wanted auto so my good lady could start driving again :help:

i-DSI likes this.
  9. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Get a mechanic that knows about these engines to inspect it. Bought mine at 136k and not had any of the DMF/chain issues.