Off-Topic High Mileage

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Phil1978, Wednesday 11th Sep, 2013.

1. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Hi all.

Thanks to my current car being apparently worth very little, my Accord funds won't be what I was hoping, so I am looking at higher mileage cars, are there any high mileage owners on here? how are they holding up?

My current car has 130k+ on it, turbo petrol and I service it twice a year, so I am OK with keeping a car going, I've read about the possible diesel engine faults, DMF, driveshaft and power tailgate issues, are there any other exterior/interior/electrical issues with high mileage tourer Accords?

Apologies for more questions but I want to be sure I'm as clued up as I can be when I finally view a car that will more than likely be quite a distance from where I live.

2. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Sorry should have said I'm looking at diesels, I'll probably be looking at 120k and above, I'm currently keeping an eye on a 2007 with 138k on the clock

3. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Probably average about 7k

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I would say given the low annual mileage go for a petrol tourer. You'll save yourself from the potential large diesel repair bills.

5. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    I just been doing some research and you're right, I'd have to be doing 15k+ to see any savings, I am slightly put off by the yearly tax on the 2.4 though, what do you think of the 2.0 version?

- - - Updated - - -

OK one last stupid question and I'll stop pestering you good folk(for a while):Wink:

Been doing a bit more snooping around the web (should have done this before solely looking into diesels) why is it some 2.4s are £280 tax and some £475

6. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Early 2.4's (pre facelift) are cheaper to tax than the facelift ones are but remember pre facelift doesn't have fuel computer and possibly no voice control on sat nav versions (someone can confirm this. I think there is a post on here somewhere stating the differences)

As for diesels mine is about to hit 170k I've owned it for 3 years and bought it with 134k on it all I have done is replace the alternator and 1 rear caliper. There is the odd sign the clutch will eventually pack up as it's slipped about once every 3-4 months. At that mileage I'm not bothered about replacing it even if it's already on its 2nd one which I don't know as there's nothing in the service history about clutch replacement.

7. Chris t Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That lack of fuel computer is a big sticking point with me , in my CDX versus EX list...........that and not being able to open the tail lift from the outside !.......yet !

8. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    My 2p don't waste your money it will end up costing.. Petrol is a safe (if maintained) option and the one I wanted to go for after selling my 7th Generation which was a as well looked after and mint as you will ever find. Petrol bud thats what you need unless you have a big wallet and like getting it out.. Mind you the face lift is better but you need the 8th Generation which is a tad more
    :Cat: bugger me side ways it a looker..

Last edited: Thursday 12th Sep, 2013
    PLiPhaze and Chris t like this.
  9. 098Joe Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My 06 CDTI is on 170000 now, clutch started slipping in January so had it replaced along with flywheel. I have full service history for it and the only other parts needed so far have been rear discs, a new exhaust manifold and just about to replace O/S/F upper wishbone. Not bad eh?

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That flipping good going,the reason why its last so long you car has be stocked not molested by a remap or abused.

Shows you have mechanical sympathy inbuilt in you, some owners don't have that no matter what you do.. :Rolf:

11. alanbboyd Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes - no voice control on the Sat Nav, or anywhere else.

I bought my 2.4 EX with 42k and it's just past 175k. Clutch replaced at 120k, exhaust (cat back) at 170k. Other than that it's just been the wear & tear items - pads, discs, droplinks etc.

Keep it serviced and it will last an awfully long time. But you knew that already....

SpeedyGee likes this.