Service & Maintenance High Mileage

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by PeteMM, Monday 10th Feb, 2014.

1. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    Guys

As much as it doesn't bother me buying high mileage cars at <£1k, I do start to feel obliged to find out more info when they are over that.

I know absolutely feck all squared in a box regarding diesels so I am wondering what are your thoughts on a 2.2 diesel with 180k on the clock. The advert says Full Service History, but this is Northern Ireland and that means it has 3 stamps in the book normally.

Who else is running high mileage 2.2's and have you experienced any issues or should I just get a proper drain, flush, replacement oil feed pipes, etc and then keep it well serviced?

Any help appreciated

Spanks

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    if it is a prefacelift diesel don't touch it as its a time bomb waiting to go off. even if it has had the timing chain replaced, there are handful of prefacelift who can survive that and still go on .. but that is rare.

Facelift are ok but they do tend to last longer than facelift but they will too need a timing chain again. I would personally AVOID the 7th Generation diesel Accords they are not worth it.

3. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

As much as I would love to have that frame of mind, I cannot see how it can be that much worse than my own tourer providing it is properly looked after

It's 06 registered, but I have a feeling it is a pre-facelift.

We don;t have the budget to be rolling in an 8th Generation unfortunately :Frown:

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT: she is pre-facelift :Frown:

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I like your optimistic outlook mate but your petrol car and it reliability are pole apart.. not even in the same galaxy

All i want to say don't expect that will be the same on the diesel you have no idea how badly you will get chewed.

5. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

You know sometimes I don't like you :Tongue:

Ichiban likes this.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I just say it as it is no beating around the bush.

PeteMM likes this.
  7. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My two cents after owning both petrol and diesel Accord.
    I had 56 reg diesel Accord which I really loved but had to sell it after numerous problems.
    I owned it for about two years and looked after it like nobody would, no expense was spared on it.
    Latest problem was either injectors or high pressure fuel pump but nobody could get to the bottom of it without me spending lots of money on it.
    This is not diesel/petrol debate but my own experience.
    On the other hand my current 8th Generation petrol which I had for over two years now has been perfect except rust on sunroof.
    You might get a good one which will last for many years but is definitely a risk.

Last edited: Monday 10th Feb, 2014
    PeteMM likes this.
  8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Pete, on top of what Cj and Zoran have said, if you want economy you're better off buying a well kept petrol version and LPGing it. I know I get better cost equivalent MPG than some of the I-DTEC owners do.

You'd have to be doing over 20k/year and be wanting to keep the car a fair few years to go down that route though.

Alternatively look for a pre converted one. This option has it's own pitfalls though but no where as near as you would have buying a diesel though.

Thats my two (predictable) cents.

9. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I just bought a 3ltr car for pulling my shed it was advertised with 78000 miles MOT and tax some service history. took it to my mate at the weekend as the ABS came on :Blink: after half an hour on full diagnostics we realised that it had probably done 150000 miles, then when I checked the pads and discs it was obvious it had been clocked. :Tea:

oh dear I thought but I only blame myself for not taking it for more than a 5 mile drive before buying it. today I have ordered 2 discs 2 bearings a bottom ball joint ABS sensor and front pads. I have to get it motd before end of month :Tea: it will be done by Friday :Happy::Happy:

10. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

I had a 1996 Passat TDI estate, 275k miles when I bought it and the previous owner told me it had been clocked but he didnt know by how much. I got her up to 335k then had issues with the turbo (my own fault for smashing the sump off the floor) new turbo, swapped all the dash for a later black version and swapped the clocks for some that said 180k on them. Then proceeded to drive it until it was nearly 220k on those clocks, keeping the older clocks for the next owner.

In the time I owned it, it was serviced twice using the cheapest possible crap I could throw at it, the only expensive item that ever went near it was DS2500 pads in the front - the best £250 I have ever spent.

Sold it for £600 aswell.

Biggest dose of crap on our roads, but ultimately the most reliable car I have ever been in despite spending 100k miles trying to kill it. Ran a potentiometer across the HP pump, big injectors, etc

candobill likes this.
  11. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

been there and probably will be there again :Happy:but its what I need so I aint complaining as all its gonna cost me is £80 plus some time before m.o.t :Happy:

12. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    Hi Guys, Just passed 100k on Tuesday. I am second owner and have put up 88k miles in five years. Same oil consumption and 47 to 49 MPG. I see Ichiban comments above on the diesel and even though I followed Honda from lawn mowers to F1 and there good petrols,I am a diesel man and that is why I bought this car. So I can see the true Honda petrol people would feel a diesel has cheaped the brands core values and I can see this point. .... I just want to know I have taken VW and a 405 to 200k, the Honda should do it!

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Bud I hear you BUT this diesel engine does NOT work well when you cross that 100K miles it will last till 200k no problems but you will need frequent trips to the beakers yard to get salvageable parts. New parts will just kill you and that is one the reason why so many die a premature death. If you like tinkering with cars then this the car to get.. but you have to be a patient man it not fill up shut up and drive car.. you know that all the I-CTDI owners know that , but we still have pocket of resistant which refuse to give up..LOL

if you are wrench then you can bodged & harper, knife & poke to get this car working .. But being a realistic the I-CTDI is a liability. Yes I don’t like diesel engine but Honda has come a long way with the I-DTEC, you need to look to the future.

So I am sorry if you are a diesel man through and through but the statistics of premature and expensive repairs for the I-CTDI is still a reality not fiction.if I see any I-CTDI in 5 years time from today then I will eat my shorts.. the ultra low mileage owners stay out of his conversation

14. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    What is the replacement mileage for the chain and does the sprockets need changing as well, is it a big job to change one out ?

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds