General Hit something in road!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zebster, Monday 18th Apr, 2016.

1. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Driving between Bridgnorth and Telford on the A442 in a line of traffic last Friday I suddenly saw 'something' in the road, but only a split second before running over it. Felt a bang and the car felt suddenly different, so pulled over for a look. This had happened to my rear N/S tyre...
    Damn it.

Fortunately I carry a spare wheel (full-size), as the latex the car came with probably would not have fixed this. If anyone still does not have a spare wheel then I really do suggest you get one!

And please no comments about my freakishly long and bendy finger...

DrSam likes this.
  2. qc2 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom quince Bromley
    I could name a few south london tyre shops who would happily patch that up and send you back on your way!

Chunkylover53, MickyB and SpeedyGee like this.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You must have hit a Stanley knife mate that tyre is well past it, Any attempts to fix that is insanity!

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Not sure what I hit, to be honest, as I didn't have time to see it properly. Something about half the size of a brick, I think? I did walk back up the road to find it, partly being inquisitive but mostly to get it out of the road but I couldn't find it.

What was nice was two guys in a van following pulled over to see if I needed any help, as they had a jack and tools in the back. Made me realise that most drivers would probably have needed their help (or would have had to call their breakdown recovery)? Nobody here though, obviously...

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good to hear there are Good Samaritans even today.:Hey:

6. Bounder Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    I had something similar happen to my wifes car, driving back from the NCT (similar to MOT) and felt the car handling strange, narrow country road so I pulled in on the first straightish stretch I could find and sent the wife back with the warning triangle around the last bend.
    Tyre had a cut about the same length as the hole right on the sidewall.
    As soon as I realised the Accord's came with a compressor and a bottle of bubble gum I got a spare steelie from a Civic.
    The offset and rim are the same but the steel will foul the front caliper on the Tourer's you need to put the back wheel to the front and put the spare on the rear.
    Plus the bottle of gunk and the compressor still fit inside the spare so if you did have 2 punctures you may be able to continue some distance.

7. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I've got a few tatty old Accord wheels I no longer need (including this one with the wrecked tyre). I may bring them to the Cosford meet and offer them as freebies as an inducement to attend! Plus my old front wishbones (only need new compliance bushes)...

8. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    I reckon that a door safety switch from a washing machine would do that, probably Karma

MickyB, legend-ary and Zebster like this.
  9. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Jeez that's bad @Zebster I am glad my 'old' Accord comes with a fullsize as well and not a can of muck. My auntie recently bough an '08 Civic and insisted she gets a spare wheel with it, as it didn't come with one (naturally was an optional extra) I really don't understand the need to not supply a vital piece of equipment such as a spare wheel, even if its one of those silly space savers, at least that would get someone out of a pickle instead of a can of muck.

Too bad that wasn't a pot hole either mate, as you might have been able to claim for a new tyre from Shropshire Council.

Zebster likes this.
  10. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Oh does that mean you ARE going to Cosford then we thought you'd thrown teddy too far out of your pram and because no one would pick him up for you , you were t playing anymore:Tongue:
    - - - Updated - - -
    Only joking of course.
    I was travelling up the M1 a few months ago in the truck about 2.30 in the morning just around junction 28 at Mansfield. Climbing the hill towards the services in the roadworks 50mph and suddenly there was a traffic one laid with the point facing me nothing to do but go over it. Bang off came my front number plate. Took me an hour when I got back to do the paperwork but I missed getting a disciplinary because it was all caught on my dashboard camera.

Harvey and jimjams like this.
  11. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    One of the down sides of having the LPG is no spare, I carry a tyre plug kit, small compressor and tin of goo but if that kind of damage were to happen it would be a call to the closest mobile fitter or road side assistance. If closer to home a call the the better half to bring me the 'get me home' tyre that came with the car conveniently sitting in the shed.

12. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Good grief, that's one freakishly long and bendy finger...oops :excited:

13. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The last time I saw a freaky finger like that was
    Mmmmmmmm
    Oh yes I know
    image.

jimjams, Racy Jace, Zebster and 2 others like this.
  14. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    It just shows how bad my shot was! I wasnt aiming for the tyre :hunter:

legend-ary, jimjams, exec and 2 others like this.
  15. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    :tut: tut tut tut:telloff:

16. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Was that a crack shot or crap shot:toarms:

17. Bounder Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    You still running on winters there?
    We have had some snow and hail last few weeks so I guess they can still be useful!

18. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Zebster go home :Grin::happycrying::happycrying::Grin:
    Do the have a bike display at Cosford image.

Zebster likes this.
  19. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    also, Cosford doesn't normally expect the likes of Albert Steptoe to turn up with all of his rags & bones, bits of cars, and knackered old white goods

20. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Well spotted, that pair in the picture were winters, but I was only running them on the rear as that pair of wheels had decent tread. I've now put another matching pair on the rear... I have lots of wheels laying around the place (useful for tethering goats to when I have to trim their hooves!). But we did wake up to heavy snow on Saturday morning, all part of the fun of being up at nearly 1100 feet.

Harvey likes this.