Body, Paint & Styling Hmm, should I be worried by corrosion - please see attached;

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by foxleys, Monday 29th Apr, 2013.

1. foxleys Premium Member Club Supporter

England Jersey
    I have a late 2007 Accord Tourer 2.4 Exec, Auto.

I noticed corrosion on the fitting in front of the radiator (I presume something to do with the cruise control or temperature sensor) it is also corroded on the bracket holding this part and the surrounding area.

I would not expect this kind of corrosion in a car of this age, but would be very interested in any comments.

thanks

View attachment 9056

2. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    it looks very much superfical from that picture. certainly nothing to worry about. the front of the car scoops up a hell of a lot of water and worst of all, salt in the winter. any car this age will show some underbody rust and in water traps etc. unless you own the car from new and proactively inspect and protect from day one, a certain ammount of superficial rust is inevitable. it wouldn't take too much work to treat though if thats what you want to do?. remove the bumper and get cracking with it.

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    A bit of Kurust could do the trick before it gets any worse?

I noticed a similar level of rust on my rear bumper bar thingy and although it was just surface rust I still gave it a good covering of Kurust.

Rear Bumper Treatment.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    personally that is all superficial and nothing to worry about you could clean the surface and put some sort of stone chipping coating to stop that happening.

Rust like that is on pristine cars you cannot avoid it in the UK next to impossible or you don't drive your car or shove into a climate controlled cocoon :Rolf:

5. ACC-CDI-2T Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cologne
    ... I´ve made very positive experience with some additional -easy to applicate- lanoline based rust prevention. (used "Fluid-Film-AS-R" to refresh the cavity sealing, and protect many of chassis and underfloor parts of my Accord 04) In spite of the salty winter, the rust held off :Smile:.

A link and some photos before / after my application :

Before. After.

Last edited by a moderator: Monday 6th May, 2013
  6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Looks good. How is this stuff applied, is it brushed or sprayed ?

7. ACC-CDI-2T Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cologne
    ... sprayed as well as brushed ... The "AS-R" is available in 400ml spray cans. I needed 3 - 4 cans for the whole Accord and it was really easy to applicate :Smile: For the cavity sealing you can get a additional 600mm spray lance from them. The chassis /undefloor parts you just spray on and disperse it with a brush. Elastomere parts I spared. I think the cavity sealing will be a lifetime protection now :Smile: - for parts in the splash water zone I´m going to refresh the protection all 1-2 years again (e.g. whilst wheelchange).

O.K. there are many other products on the market - I´ve chosen this one cause of it´s excellent saltwater resistance, easy application, combined with non toxiness and non awful evaporation features.

8. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    I gave just started doing the underside of my car starting at the back and moving forward when time allows :Smile:

SpeedyGee likes this.