General Hold on, that Accord looks familiar?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DeviateDefiant, Tuesday 5th Nov, 2013.

1. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Someone was advertising their Accord, with a picture of my car.

I guess that's some form of flattery right? A good kick up the arse to remove my number plate from photos, and probs add an invisible watermark too.

2. rayhoop Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keerat Amersham
    They may be using a picture of your car to commit fraud/rip someone off... or sell a clone...
    Be careful.

A few years back a friend's parents noticed that their Honda Goldwings were for sale on ebay... not by them... but someone else pretending to have the bikes for sale. They contacted the Police who were very interested as it linked up to a criminal ring.

Your case could just be someone being lazy.. but why not just take a photo of their own car?

I would contact the seller posing as a buyer... and see whether you think it is something sinister....
    If so - then a call to the local police station with info on what you have found and what the seller has said.

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I mailed them earlier, we'll see if I actually get a response or not. I'm sure they were just being lazy in all honesty.

Either way, I'm going to go ahead and report them to the site itself for best measure. They might be able to provide me with the poster's details incase I ever needed it.

Update:

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    we may need to implement some watermarking on all images bud. This will stop then.

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Agreed mate, I've already start manually doing mine - but we need some protection in place for all members.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    well the fix is found so we can implement that pretty quickly.:Wink:

7. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

A similar thing happened to my daughter. She attends all the rounds of the UK time attack series and she took some really good photographs she posted one of a Ford Sierra Cosworth on Facebook for the guy who owned the car. Next thing it's in Fast Ford Magazine. Obviously because it was on a public social media site they picked it up and used it without her permission (she now knows it was not needed) so now all her photographs are watermarked and the official TA photographer has told her to set up her own website and then if anyone wants to use her photographs they have to get her permission and more importantly they have to pay to use it. So that is her project for next season.

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I've done a lot of photography over the years, mostly for bands. I had to start doing the exact same thing as people were nicking shots left, right and centre without at least acknowledging credit (something the more reputable people in the scene always do at least). She wants to look into utilising a Creative Commons license on her site :Thumbup:

After this happened I started watermarking the corner of all images I upload to the site, there's also a hidden watermark across the center of the frame so that people can't just crop out the copyright text.