Engine & Gearbox Honda 5 pin to OBD adaptor plug

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Stew Pot, Monday 9th Apr, 2012.

1. Stew Pot Member

I recently used a friends code reader (Carman) along with his 5 pin to OBD Honda adaptor. It worked fine. Just as a reference I recorded the pinouts of the adaptor plug. Today I did a search for a 5 pin to OBD Honda adaptor and came across a post on another forum stating: this is the official Honda connection : obd pin 1 > connect to obd pin 3 obd pin 1 > connect resistor 270 Kohm to obd pin 5 honda conn. pin 1 > obd pin 14 pin 2 > pin 7 pin 3 > pin 15 pin 4 > pin 16 pin 5 > pin 5 hope this helps - good luck ! The problem is, that this is completely different from what I measured personally on my friends adaptor. Now I'm unsure if I order a "Honda 5 pin to OBD adaptor" what I am going to get, and whether or not it will work with my own code reader. Are there any experts on here who know the definitive pinouts of the 5pin to OBD for a Honda Accord, year 2000, 1850cc Thanks

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi what type of reader do you have? and if you want to be brave and take the outer shielding off to have a look at the wire colours.

3. Stew Pot Member

Hi, I have an Elmscan USB that I bought a few years ago.
    Are they scrap?
    I don't mind risking the reader, but I would be more apprehensive regarding risking my ECU driver circuits.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I won't think it will damage you car , but you are better off with a hand held standalone code reader rather than older usb type.

Look at ebay and look accordingly to your budget.

5. Stew Pot Member

So, what do my code reader wire colours tell me?
    My plug on my car has, PURPLE/WHITE, WHITE/GREEN, BLUE/WHITE, PURPLE, BLUE.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Stew any progress, TBH I won't get too involved in colour of the wires. If I owned a 6th Generation I could have given you some pointers without a car I am blind to suggest otherwise.

Ifs far easier to take the hit a buy a reader which works with the faffing around with wire and bodging it. I am sure another experienced 6th Generation owners can advise you if you still want to go down the experimental route.

7. Stew Pot Member

Hi. I'm actually interested in learning more about the OBD communications as well as what's wrong with my car, so believe it or not I'm glad I have to dig a bit deeper to understand what's happening. I think I have figured it out in theory, but I just haven't had time to splice the adaptor cable the way I want it. I think it just a case of connecting the +12v, the GND and the K-Line wires. Will find out one of these days soon....... Will post a reply once I give it a go. ATB

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Stew did you get anywhere with your findings?

9. Stew Pot Member

Hi. No not yet. I've been bogged down with other things and can't really risk knocking my car out of action altogether at the minute. It's driveable so I can live with it for the minute. Once I get some free time and a chance to concentrate I will be having a go. All the best

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thanks for the update fella, hang in there.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  12. Steve Daisley Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

13. skhell Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Have you sorted this out?

My car also have a 5 pin connector. Bought a 5pin 50 OBD adaptor form ebay, but no luck...
    Do you still have the original pinout that you took note from your friends adaptor?