Honda Accord 1.8 Auto Brake Light comes on when pulling away??

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by superguitarman, Thursday 13th Aug, 2015.

1. superguitarman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Jono Mansfield
    Hi all, any help would be greatly appreciated. I've recently bought a 2000 Honda Accord 1.8 Automatic and have noticed sometimes the handbrake light stays on for a few seconds after pulling away, unsure as to if this is also coupled to if I put the car in neutral whilst stopped at traffic lights etc. Anybody have any idea as to what's going on and the likely severity of the problem? The handbrake is fully disengaged. Wondering if it's a sensor or a sign of some other gremlin.

Thanks for looking and thank you in advance for your help!

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    What condition are your brake pads in, front and back ?

My guess is you have worn brake pads which has lowered the fluid level in the reservoir and as you pull away, the fluid level is falling below the minimum and you are seeing the warning light.

BTW it's customary for new members to drop by the Introduce Yourself section and say a few words about yourself and your car.

exec likes this.
  3. superguitarman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the quick reply! Brakes all seem good, I've not looked at them but they seem to function fine. Just literally tried to replicate the problem in my works car park and couldn't do it, tried pulling away hard and then stopping sharp, didn't get the issue. I'm going to have to do some experimenting to see what's actually happening. I'll drop in that section and say a quick hello to everyone! Thanks again for the reply and the heads up!

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Check the fluid level first and foremost.

Of course it could simply be a faulty switch on the handbrake.

5. superguitarman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

At first I thought my leg was just pushing the handbrake up a touch but I don't think that's the case, even though my it does touch my leg at most times haha.

6. superguitarman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

When I can get away for 5 minutes I'll have a look and see what's what. Is it just a case of topping up or is a full bleed necessary?

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Well normally fluid on goes low if your brake pads are worn down. Shouldn't go low for any other reason, so just replace the brake pads.

A flush and bleed would be a good preventative service step to undertake anyway and will help keep away issues with seized brake calipers.

8. superguitarman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It did have new brake pipes for the last MOT, that was about 5 months ago though. Related perhaps? I'm also wondering if it's an issue with the engine being cold, or something as simple as my leg getting in the way. The light goes out after a few seconds so perhaps it's just a sensor that sticking for a bit. I'd sooner it be something like that than a failure in the braking system, sensors seem cheaper to sort!

9. superguitarman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Brake fluid seems OK, a touch on the low side but nothing too alarming. I'll top it up anyway for good measure, I'm starting to think sticking sensor.

10. superguitarman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah the light comes on when I accelerate hard from standing. Ideas?

11. superguitarman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lobbed some brake fluid in the reservoir and problem solved. I'll keep an eye on it, if it starts doing it again I'll investigate for leaks.

Chunkylover53 and exec like this.
  12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Thought'd be low fluid.

Good to hear it was an easy fix.

13. superguitarman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Put some in, booted it up a quiet road and it didn't even blink once so hopefully that's job done.