Guides Honda Accord 2.0 Petrol: Spark Plug Change

Accord 03-08 i-VTEC, K20A6

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 8th Mar, 2014
  2. dean Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hello ichiban
    y did you use iridium plugs? was this item ment for the general drivers and not those wanting performance iridiume/platinum plugs are generally meant for longevity ,even copper plugs give a better spark (conductivity being the reason here) but a much shorter life , silver if you want the best spark is the way to go but for most people price to life is prohibitive(£10 a plug is about the best iv found life=5000 miles)any views on this?

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hey Dean I went for the upgrade just to get out of the endless cycle of changing plugs every 25000 miles. the day someone tell me xyz plugs given you more horsepower I will drink a pint of diesel.:Rolf: Secondly I want he same heat range as the standard plugs and these iridium plugs do their work perfectly on the 2.4. No brainier really.

I have used a lot of plugs on my bikes and it has been a utter disaster I have had piston holes , fouling per ignition the lot. I stick to stock plugs as they work.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    my 2.4 had a service a month ago and the iridium plugs were changed for the first time on it 6th service at 70k miles

They look superb perfect combustion. The car run on Vpower and Silkolene pro S from day one. The old plugs were made Denso replaced them with NGK.

photo (1).

5. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Thanks Dean, that's good info.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  7. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Rokas Bristol, UK
    Hey hi mate :Wave:
    Brilliant thread you've got here! :Thumbup:

I'm posting here 'cause my 50'000 miles spark plugs replacement due soon, so I've started to look around what plugs to use. Is it iridium ones like best ones or so? What could be the best to use for my 2.4 engine? Is it NGK branded plugs top shot? I've seen Spoon iridium spark plugs for sale too..there was stated that Spoon plugs are made for racing cars standards, driving on high revs, pushing engine to its limits, bla bla bla etc (high performance stuff). Maybe it's just a marketing trick... Perhaps NGK are really good ones?

Would be nice if you could drop a line here about your recommendations for me.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi bud,

Just use the standard iridium Plugs NGK plug IZFR6K-11, I prefer NGK over Denso plugs personally. As for spoon racing stuff is renowned for it performance try them and see what benefits it may bring.

9. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Okey dokey! Maybe at first, I'll find out the price difference between NGK and Spoon. Most likely NGK will be cheaper anyway, despite buying it from Honda dealer.

IchibanAccord, but you say it's not worth looking at ebay for NGK plugs?

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Call up HH and see their club price is to your liking, check opie oils they sell spark plugs both vendors will provide you the genuine article.

Ebay to many counterfeits being passed as genuine and you have no guarantees, so buyer beware.

intruder likes this.
  11. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ouch.. :Foolish: Stupid I am. I've missed one thing in Maintenance table - for 2.4 litre Accord it's Iridium type plugs goes as standard which needs replacement every 75'000 miles only! So my clock shows nearly 49'000 miles at the moment, means I can be calm for another 26k :Whistle:

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    yup too early when I replaced them on my 2.4 at the recommended interval they were perfect ,these plugs do last the distance.