General Honda Accord 2.2 ctdi Executive – engine noise – can you identify?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yourpete, Wednesday 10th Apr, 2013.

1. yourpete Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Honda Accord 2.2 ctdi Executive – failing drive chain confirmed -Mp3 attached

UPDATE TO THIS POST - Honda dealer has confirmed failing drive chain - seeing if Honda will discount something off bill as known problem, but out of the extra extended warrenty Honda made, 75,000 miles + full service history.

Recently hearing – best described - but its hard to get across – anyway… a recording is available at the link below.

CLICK …………..click…click……………..CLICK…………….click…click

Increases with engine speed and seems to be coming from the drive belt area. The power steering, alternator and air-con units are all working ok .75k on the clock and due a service in about 2,000 miles

Mp3 clip – link - copy and paste into your browser http://yourlisten.com/channel/content/16971567/Accord

Suggestions welcome.

Last edited: Monday 15th Apr, 2013
  2. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Honda Accord 2.2 ctdi Executive – engine noise – can you identify?

Sounds like the timing chain is slack to me but await a second opinion.

3. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Does it sound like this or not? If you can get the belt off and run the engine without the belt on and the noise goes away then its not the timing chain.

4. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Has it had the revised belt fitted? Could be alternator ??

5. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Really hard with a recording. Ask ten people and you're probably going to get ten different replies. Better to get it checked out by a friendly dealer, if you're lucky one of their techs will pop out and listen to it for you.

6. yourpete Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Re: Honda Accord 2.2 ctdi Executive – engine noise – can you identify?

Its booked in for a service on the 23rd so it will be checked out then ie loosen belt and see it its timing chain - then turn each unit run off the belt separately to narrow it down. Thought it might be an easily recognised sound to some. The garage thought it was not "very urgent" hence the 23rd.
    Failing other suggestions I will report back in due course.
    Primarycare - What are the details on the "revised" belt. The belt has not been changed - I understood it is due at 100k? If not and due sooner please let me know and it can be done on the 23rd.

7. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ok
    I can't search but do a search details are on here with pics of layout and part numbers etc. Honda did a shorter belt which also did away with idlers pulley and reduced load on the alternator bearing. Honda charge about £150 give or take I can't remember about £270 I think with the bearing replaced as well. A click is one possible symptom of bearing failure as I was told by my local dealer. If it were the chain you would know I think. A whine which increases under lead is another symptom I was told, mine has the whuring noise and I suspect my bearing may need doing as belt gadgets never been changed. Do the search I can't get to a pc as in a B&B in somerset at the mo and limited with this app.
    Don't panic though if your worried pop into your local dealer and ask them to gave a listen...

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham

Here you go :-

http://hondakarma.com/guides/drive-alternator-poly-belt-changes-diesel.14/

- - - Updated - - -

That's in the articles section .. you may need to get your post count up to see that.

Alternatively see this thread http://hondakarma.com/threads/116/

9. yourpete Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Many thanks Speedygee for the heads up on the shorter drive belt. Do you by any chance know when Honda brought this alternative belt in? Had a full Honda service not that long ago and suspect they should have spotted and advised me if it was current then.

10. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The revised belt has been in place for a few years now.
    Not part of a service but a good dealer should have pointed it out.

11. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Don't trust in the dealer to tell you. My car has full Honda history and is still serviced by them and I had to ask them off the back of the great info on this site. Guys here prob know more about our Hondas than the Honda dealers.
    Sorry I couldn't get the links up for you but as said bit limited on my phone.
    Good luck with sorting and keep us posted :Smile:

12. yourpete Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks RobB

13. yourpete Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Noise confirmed as timing chain failing - see my admendments to 1st post - thanks to all who made suggestions etc.

14. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thought it was that. It sounded similar to a one litre corsa which had a worn chain/tensioner that I changed. Hope you get somewhere with Honda. Good luck.