Engine & Gearbox Honda Accord 2.2 i CTDi Sport 4dr Diesel 2006 Engine doesn't start

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by pulimiharish, Saturday 11th Jul, 2015.

1. pulimiharish Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Harish Abingdon
    Hi

My Honda Accord 2.2 i CTDi Sport 4dr Diesel 2006 Model died yesterday. At first the battery fault light came up and then after driving for couple of miles several warning flights kept on flashing and then the engine stopped. The engine doesn't start any more, when I try to start the ignition it just makes a cranking sound but doesn't start. The recovery agent suspected the problem could be with the Alternator, any ideas what might be wrong and how much it takes to repair. I got this car just few months ago so I don't have the full history.
    I have recorded a video of the problem at: Dropbox - VID_20150710_190926.mp4

Thanks in advance
    Harish

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    On first thoughts, thats a battery issue looking at that video, diesels take a fair bit of juice to turn over. Do you have a voltmeter? Need to load test the battery. If the alternator either dies or is not charging the battery due to a broken belt, it would kill a battery pretty quickly especially in this weather with the air con going etc.

What warning lights started to flash when you were driving? Is your drive belt still there or have that broken off?

Btw, welcome to the forum, put your car in the club garage as it will then appear under all your posts and allow others to help you better

If it were my car, I would test the battery out, jump it to life if you can, then check the voltage going into the battery. You want it around 14v. If the car is running and the battery is 12v or less, then your alternator isnt charging it.

Last edited: Saturday 11th Jul, 2015
  3. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    ^Ditto^

If it is just a battery/alternator problem, then either fully charging your battery or (preferably) fitted a known good fully charged one should allow your car to start and run. Then you can assess the alternator performance using a voltmeter, as already mentioned.

If charging the battery doesn't allow the engine to start, then any stored error codes on the ECU should be read using an OBD2 reader... hopefully this will then give some clues!

Nighthawk likes this.
  4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Welcome to Honda Karma @pulimiharish, it's customary for new member to introduce themselves so please do drop by Introduce Yourself section and say a few words about yourself and your car.

On the issue of the battery and alternator, @Nighthawk and @Zebster have both given sound advice.

Let us know how you get on.

5. pulimiharish Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you @Nighthawk and @Zebster for the advice. When we jump started, the car did start & ran fine and the voltage level showed around 13.something. Sorry, I can't remember the exact value.

The alternator belt has been some making some clicking noise recently and when the problem happened the belt was trying to move but getting struck. Do I need to replace the belt and if so is it expensive?

I have left the car in a garage so once I get it back I will upload to the Club Garage as it doesn't allow me adding without any pictures.

Thanks again for the inputs.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Clicking noises from the belt area and belt getting stuck ! Hmm that sounds like an aux belt tensioner failure.

Check your tensioner out.

You also want to make sure you are running the shorter aux belt. See this guide for more info Drive/Alternator/Poly Belt Changes (Diesel)

Nighthawk likes this.
  7. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I know it can be a bit of a pain, but do get the belt off and check out all the pulleys. If something has been jamming then you'll be needing to put a new belt on anyhow... it's a 7PK1785 type belt (give or take a couple of millimetres). You may need to buy (or improvise) a spanner to loosen off the tensioner, but the belts are cheap. This is the one I bought last year...

If your's is a 6-speed gearbox then it'll already have the shorter belt, but the pre-facelift models originally had a much longer belt... as said, it's definitely fitting the later shorter belt and removing the subsequently redundant idler.

A voltage less than 14V may be OK if it's just under, but you do need to make sure this is measured with plenty of electrical loads switched on (headlights, blower, HRW, etc) and, ideally, revving slightly to 1500 RPM.

Nighthawk likes this.
  8. Nighthawk Guest

I had the longer belt on my facelift 06 Accord when I bought her and changed it to the shorter belt within the first few weeks as I heard about the longer belt putting undue stress on the tensioner, idler and alternator bearings.

As @Zebster says, less than 14v by just a little is fine, if its closer to 12v than to 14v then thats an issue. If its low when the car is just idling with no load on, it will be worse when you load the system up by turning everything on, which is something you need to do to allow the regulator to alter the amount of voltage it starts to feed into the car.

At this stage, its safe to say that the battery you have in the car at the moment is dead and is unlikely to be able to be resalvaged so Id start budgeting a new one already, but you also need to resolve the charging issue, if there is one. The voltage checks will confirm this for you.

I had this on a family Volvo around a year ago (53 plate diesel). They were driving along, the car started acting all strange, loss of power, warning lights etc. To be fair to the car (they do make good cars in my humble opinion), it didnt stop on them. Replaced battery, she started straight away, but there was absolutely no charge getting through to it. New alternator and she has been as good as gold ever since.

Zebster likes this.
  9. pulimiharish Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The alternator was the culprit, had to replace that to get it working. Fortunately it was covered under the warranty so no holes to my pocket :Smile:

Thanks again for all the people that provided valuable information.

Zebster likes this.
  10. Nighthawk Guest

Glad they sorted it. Did they replace the battery too?

11. pulimiharish Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No, the battery was fine, its just the Alternator.

12. Nighthawk Guest

Just keep an eye on the battery, they don't normally last too long after being completely drained

13. pulimiharish Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Okay, thanks for the advice. Any signs that I need to watch for the battery going to be flat.

14. Nighthawk Guest

A battery is classified as a consumable so isnt covered under warranty normally. Keep an eye out for difficulty starting, especially in cold weather and any weird electrical gremlins.

They arent that expensive to replace really anyway, our sponser Holdcroft Honda offer discounts to members above 25 posts and provide excellent original batteries for good prices IF you do ever need to change it

15. pulimiharish Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Excellent, thank you for the information.

16. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Glad you got it sorted.