Electrical & Lights honda accord 2.2

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Dave Lewis, Friday 1st Jan, 2016.

1. Dave Lewis Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Brand new battery flattens overnight ,altenater working ok.
    whilst driving all warning lights came on and i pulled in turned off engine would not start so i changed the battery,
    next day totally flat, charged battery up with home charger started ok drove about 10 miles ,next day flat,any ideas
    anyone before i go to a auto electrical guy . have removed HFT module so its not that.
    Thanks in advance .
    Dave
    - - - Updated - - -
    Sorry forgot to say its Accord 2006 ICTDI ex.
    thanks guys

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    How was the alternator confirmed to be working OK ?

If there's nothing obvious that has been left on then, you need to carry out a battery drain test and then start pulling fuses from various circuits, basically an auto electrician can do that for you.

3. Dave Lewis Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

can't think what could be left on none of the obvious . when the battery is fully charged and placed in the car ,the car runs fine ,its only going flat when left overnight.
    Do i need a radio code or nav code ? .at the moment i have to keep 12v on the leads to change the battery as no codes are recorded in the handbooks .
    if i had a good head of hair i would pull it out LOL ;
    Dave

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Do you have a multimeter/ammeter?

5. Dave Lewis Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i have a multimeter Zebster

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

If you add your Accord to the Club Garage, we'd know this straight away.

7. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    OK, well it should then be easy to put it in series with the battery (set meter to amps, remove battery negative connection, connect black meter lead to battery negative post and connect the red meter lead to the vehicle chassis) and measure the current flowing whilst pulling fuses one-by-one to hopefully discover which circuit is responsible for the excess drain. DO NOT OPERATE STARTER WHILE DOING THIS!

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

There's no radio codes on the 7th Generation Accords so don't worry about disconnecting battery.

9. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

To confirm if the alternator is charging properly, run the engine and turn the headlights on.... Get some one to hold the revs at around 2800rpm for 10seconds whilst checking the voltage... If it's around the 13.7-14.3v range it's working properly.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Facelift Accord it has to be the HFT unit but can't see that draining a diesel battery overnight, but stranger things have happened.

Need to source this parasitic drain or your battery is on its last legs,

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@Ichiban, Dave said the HFT is already removed, (#1), that is assuming it has been done correctly.
    He also states the battery was changed too. Hence the query about charging.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Parasitic drain can't be fixed no matter now many new batteries you put in the leak is still there. It like wheel alignment no matter how many wheel alignments you do worn tyres will make the car behave like a dog.

So without finding the root cause you are shooting in the dark.:wait:

13. Dave Lewis Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the info i will give it a shot and see if i can get any further with this problem .Do you know what amperage is normal so i can look for anything above that level .
    this is really annoying as the more i work it out i think thats why the guy took a low offer on the car without hesitation .also jump leads in the boot along with a power pack
    maybe im wrong but as they say man up and get on with it .
    many thanks again Dave.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Thanks Speedy ,im greatfull for that, thought i was being clever with a pp9 battery a length of cable and two croc clips but was not reqd but possibly a good tip for others to use
    if they need it . thank you .

14. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I can't be accurate about a 'typical' drain figure but I'd use 250mA as my yardstick, so you'll need to select a suitable meter range. As Ichiban hinted at, the diesel battery is a big beast (78Ah as standard) so even a continuous overnight drain of 2 Amps should fail to flatten it... and something drawing that much current will be dissipating 25W and will be getting noticeably hot!

Heckler's advice on checking the alternator would also be good to follow, as you shouldn't take it for granted that the alternator is sound.

Yeah, most secondhand cars are sold because the previous owners have discovered a fault that they don't want to fix!

15. Dave Lewis Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

16. Dave Lewis Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi again ,Had the alternator checked by local garage they never gave me any readings voltage wise .
    so i have now just checked it and found these results .
    Voltage at tick over 12.7 v
    Voltage @ 2.800 RPM 12.2v
    Voltage @ 2.800rpm 11.8 v
    This was taken across the two battery terminals .
    Can i assume that the alternator is kaputt seems that way to meally annoying sold my honda 2.0 se which i had for 14 years and never really went wrong .had a text
    from the new owner to say hes delighted with it .don't think i can do that to the previous owner of this one lol
    Thanks for everyones kind concern.
    Dave

17. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

If the headlights were on and the engine at around 2800rpm and no oter electrical items switched on, it should be reading a minimum of 13.7v and upwards. Mine registers 14.24v... So I'd be concerned with a voltage that low, and it could explain the power drain. Once you are out and about driving normally, putting the heating on or the seats on, lights, stereo.... it will simply be draining the car the whole time you are driving around.

First thing I'd do is check that the belt is in good condition and properly tensioned, then I'd clean up all contacts on the wiring between the alternator and battery, then try to test the voltage at the alternator itself to see if it's putting out more and it's simply not getting through properly... If the belt is good and tensioned right, and it's the same voltage at the alternator then I'd recommend changing it. You should be able to get a good deal on a recon unit and then get a little back if you send your old one in to be refurbished.

But a word of warning.... if you have a parasitic drain somewhere... then it will still happen. I'm not an expert and can only give my personal opinion based on my own past experiences of similar things.

Last edited: Saturday 2nd Jan, 2016
    legend-ary likes this.
  18. Dave Lewis Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi ,will do as you said and place max load on the elecrtical system . As for testing the alternater do i remove the cable
    and test across the terminals or whatever is there . Thanks i totally understand any advice is given to help me and would never
    take anyone to task all advice is good advice. Thanks again Dave

legend-ary likes this.
  19. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Does point towards the alternator with those voltages with engine running. As mentioned I'd expect at least 13.8 but more like 14 plus with the engine running.

I solved my parasitic drain by stopping the kids from leaving the interior lights switched on all the time. LOL
    didn't solve the drain on my bank balance though....

20. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Alternators are prone to wearing out eventually unfortunately.

Did you see what happens with increased load on the engine, ie all headlights on, heaters on inside car etc ? Does this increase the voltage at the battery ?

If it doesn't then yes Alternator does seem to at fault here.