General Honda Accord 2005 05 EX 2.4 Petrol (Battery change and reset codes)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HaLife, Monday 1st Apr, 2013.

1. HaLife Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I am hoping to change the battery for Accord 05 EX 2.4 Petrol but not sure if it requires any reset codes after the replacement of the battery. On the service book the space for the radio code is a dash. Does the Ex models have a reset code? Thank you in advance.

2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not sure for 7th Generation but when I changed battery on my 8th Generation Audio system locked and I needed code to unlock it.
    Can 7th Generation owners confirm if it is the same.
    If I remember correctly if your car has Sat nav I don't think you will need code.

3. HaLife Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Zoran
    Thank you for the quick response. It has a Sat Nav so it may not need one. I will wait for possible confirmations

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I've got the SatNav version and just changed my battery. No code needed.

5. HaLife Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you for the info arcticfire

6. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've had my battery off in the past and no code required on my 7th Generation with sat nav

7. HaLife Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave,
    That's good. Thank you for the info

- - - Updated - - -

The manual mentions 45Ah Battery and this is what is currently in the car. Any ideas on if it would be sensible to go for something higher than this rating? Also any experience on height of the battery in terms of tolerance as most of the ones that are recommended for this car are about 2cm higher than the current one. Thanks in advance

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    You won't be able to get a bigger capacity battery due to space limitations. Just go for a Honda supplied battery, it's about £40.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Not to mention the Japanese terminal sizes and taper you can go bigger battery with hack and different battery clamps.

10. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I did notice that the original battery in my car had sleeves over the terminals to make them thicker but the new battery from Honda didn't as the terminals were thicker themselves. The new Honda battery is higher rated I noticed so I was happy!

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That would mean a smaller capacity battery or the battery with the wrong terminals have been used hence the premature failure.

The Honda 45amps battery will be a direct replacement bud.

12. HaLife Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you all. Battery now sorted!

13. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    I had to use a small screw between the clamp and positive terminal to get a secure connection. Next time it'll be genuine Honda.

14. itsjimbo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, I am confused - Monday I priced for new battery at my local Honda dealer in Bolton - quoted £75.00 (£100 if fitted) so just been to halfords and bought top spec battery (YUASU 60 ah with 5 year guarantee recommended by HALFORDS) £75.97 after 25% trade card discount (retail £99.99) I have not tried to fit it yet, have noted your comments on size ? Also - Code not needed on my 2005 2.5 auto exec tourer with sta nav
    Also if concerned about losing settings - what if ?? I use jump leads to connect to spare battery (or another car with both engines switched OFF) then connect leads to battery connector posts (on car of intended car battery change) and change the battery ! This in theory should keep all settings as power is not interupted ?? Any thoughts on this please BEFORE I CHANGE my own !
    Many thanks

15. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I changed the battery on my 2005 Accord 2.4 and the SatNav didn't need any codes. I bought mine straight from Honda and it was a higher capacity battery. I'm sure the batteries at Halfords listed for my car didn't seem to be the same size and were too fat. I'd personally stick to an OEM one and it's a piece of cake to fit, just loosen the bolts on the cable rings which clamp on the battery terminals and wiggle the cables off, then remove the nuts on the two clamps that hold the battery down and remove the clamps. Battery will pull right out!

Honda Car Parts / Choose by Model / Genuine Honda Parts | Honda Cars | Honda Motorcycles | Honda Power Products | Lings Honda

16. itsjimbo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi again - Just checked battery size - won't fit - too wide !!! old width 135mm New 185mm ---- Ah well back to Halfords for refund - next stop Honda !
    What do you recon to my thoughts on jump leads for battery change ?
    cheers

17. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Not sure why you want to use jump leads as there's no need as far as I know.

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Just ring Holdcroft Honda for the genuine battery they will delivery to your house address. none of this stupid nonsense it won't fit, The battery will be cheaper than the price you have given.

I can't understand why you have gone to halfords when it documented on the forum ,Honda batteries are cheaper.LOL

19. itsjimbo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi IchibanAccord, thanks for your reply - took your advice this morning rang Holdcroft Honda (01782 261 593) they put me through to parts dept. - so far so good - the guy quoted £75.00 inc.vat. Now for the interesting bit, Yesterday 21st I sent email (parts enquiry form) to them quoting all my car details + name/address/email/telephone etc., checked my email just now - they have now quoted £65.00 inc. vat. & delivery (guy named Gareth on 01782 264 888 I pressume this is parts dept ?) Anyway bought it retail from my local Honda dealership yesterday cost £75.00 inc.vat. Battery now fitted - no problems - no resetting anything (appart from auto seek for radio stations) It would seem that it depends on maybe what day/time/what the weather is like/if they are in a good mood - Anyway, thanks for all the help from everyone - I just wish that the Halfords battery had fit - it was 60amp honda is 45amp - it cost £75.97 (after trade ) discount with a 5 year guarantee - the extra guarantee is worth the extra 97p !

Anyway - great site, I must come on more often, again thanks for all the imput - thanks guys

- - - Updated - - -

Hi again - reason I went to Halfords in the first place is I have a trade card, last year took a freind of mine to Halfords and got him a battery for his 2002 accord 2.0 exec manual for £48.00 after discount, it fit perfect, 3 year guarantee and was cheaper than quoted by Honda ! Sometimes it IS worth looking at !
    Cheers all

20. itsjimbo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

battery update - phoned Holdcraft honda sat. morning , spoke to Gareth in parts - Very helpful, said if I had said on the email "accord owners club" I would have got a better discount ! Hindsight is wonderful ! Ah well I know for next time !!
    Thanks again all (might speak to my local Honda dealer next week, see if they would offer discounts for AOC members in future ? (if one dealer can, I see no reason another can not)
    Quick question - Does anyone know if up to date sat-nav disk is obtainable anywhere at reasonable cost (last quoted £150 from local dealer) This seems crazy when I have got nav. on my phone for free ! And for this sort of cost I can by standalone sat-nav unit and an all bells and whistles one to boot ! I wrote to Honda in Swindon some time ago with no joy - pointed out that they are not only being unfair to theire customers who have spent large ammounts of money investing in HONDA but they are also losing sales by not selling very many updated disks ? Seems daft to me - but hey, what do I know - the Honda quote "we are listening" is just that - a quote - nothing more !
    Anyway, thanks for the help - rant over ! Jim