Electrical & Lights Honda accord 54 plate i-cdti tailgate problem

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by stu123, Thursday 6th Feb, 2014.

1. stu123 New Member Getting Started

Hi
    Everyone I'm in need of some advice with my powered tailgate. Probably the best feature on the car was doomed to fail at some point. This happened a week ago now. Firstly it stopped completely. Then I found out how to do a reset and now I can get the tailgate to go down. It can be reversed with the keyfob and by touching the sensors, but when it shuts the powerlock does not activate. I have tested with a multimeter the power at the lock on closure and it has I think about 12volts ish of power then but the lock does not activate. Everything pointed to a dodgy motor so I picked another one up from the wreckers today and that is the same. So now I am lost. I always try to do everything myself so I don't get ripped off and when things go wrong I only have myself to blame. Also this is how you learn things is it not? Does anyone have any clues what I can check next? Thanks in advance.

2. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Welcome to the forum, have a read through here, may give you some ideas, there may be some other topics on this so probably worth doing a search.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  3. stu123 New Member Getting Started

Hi
    thanks for that. This is one thread I have not read. I have checked the wiring near the hinge and it looks fine but I will take it apart tomorrow for a proper check. I thought that it may not be the wiring as power goes to the power lock when it's due to close. I think it could be something to do with the sensor wiring. Thanks again.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  5. stu123 New Member Getting Started

Hi everyone, finally I have done it. After looking at link from phil1978 I decided to look at the wiring more closely. It meant taking off more of the roof trim and taking the wires out of the plastic protective case but it was worth it. I spotted a split red/blue wire and hoped this was the fault. I quickly temporarily added a little extra wire did the reset and waited with baited breath as the boot lowered.......and then it locked, result. I was so pleased. It honestly does make me think about the owners who take their cars to mechanics and dealers to be told extortionate sums of money for reasonably simple repairs. I have taught myself through trial and error and asking questions and saved myself a fortune and gained a lot of knowledge. In the link the accord owner was quoted £503 for a new harness and £343 for a non-guaranteed repair of the damaged wire. Stories like this put me more and more off taking my car anywhere. It took a little 2" wire and to be a little extra sure that it didn't come apart again I soldered the wires together (this was not necessary I just wanted to leave the wire slightly flexible without using connectors). Cost to me nothing. I know that most people don't have the time to things themselves but it is so satisfying when you do. Probably the most worrying thing about the whole scenario was taking the trim off. But as long as you're careful what's the worse that can happen you break a trim fastener! Sorry for my moan people but have a go that's all I'm saying. Thanks to everyone for their time in reading and replying to this thread. My next job is a clutch change on the car. I've got a week off soon and I think I'm going to need it any advice or links would be appreciated. Thanks again Stu:Happy:

Ichiban likes this.
  6. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Well done you won't have any problems changing the clutch if you get a workshop manual and a couple of spanners. Go for it :Thumbup: only kidding mate, you will need a bit of equipment and need be able to get access to the underneath. if you try to do it on ramps be careful and make sure you get everything needed before you start :Thumbup:

Last edited: Saturday 8th Feb, 2014
  7. stu123 New Member Getting Started

Hi
    thanks for the quick reply. I haven't looked into it fully as I've been busy with the boot but I was thinking of taking the suspension off the gearbox side to allow access. Over the top do you think or obvious. Never done a clutch before.

8. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Glad you got the tailgate sorted fella, can't help with the clutch change but good luck :Thumbup:

9. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi Stu123, glad its sorted, the tailgate does seem to throw up some issues from time to time. I agree withyou about taking the car to the garage. I used a main dealer near me to get a tailgate issue diagnosed and they told me completely the wrong information. They told me it was the closer unit but in fact it was the motor itself but they charged me £90 to tell me!! I fitted a replacmeent motor from the breakers yard and sorted the problem. Hey ho

Glad it sorted, and this forum is full of amazing and knowledgable people always willing to help. Its well worth being a memeber.

With regards to the clutch, Holdcroft honda do a genuine replacement at an amazing price for members (I saved about £100!). I bought mine from there but havent fitted it. Sorry I cannot advise on that. but good luck

Cheers
    Tony

Ichiban likes this.
  10. Molfruit Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm interested to know how you deduced that it was the motor at fault and that they had actually misinformed you? I take my hat off to you anyway.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Ok let the DTC codes held on the car for the tailgate? preferbally read by a snap modus or a Honda HIM\tablet running HDS. any other geenric reader will not pick them up.

If you do get them read try erasing the DTC and see if they come back. and report back which ones are not erasing.

12. Molfruit Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It was a local tuning place; whatever they plugged into it gave DTC B1390 Power Tailgate Motor Function Error. This was a while ago now so I guess I'll have to go begging to see if they'll erase the codes for me - if I'd have known at the time I could have asked them then, ignorance isn't always bliss... I just know they are going to charge me again for doing it lol. I try to find my best begging hat.

Incidentally, I checked my VIN and it doesn't match any affected in the warranty extension for the power tailgate if this helps any.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Ok try getting the code deleted and see if that come back .. try a tailgate ECU reset to see if that has the desired effect .. check the outer door handle if its jammed get it moving, get some WD40 ( use the plastic straw to target it accurately) on the two corners of the hinge.

If the handle reports a up position all the time the motor will get confused.. as the sensor is false reporting :Wink:

If your VIN is not affected then you can be rest assured it won’t have prematurely failed it would be something simple or a broken wire have you guys seen the thread where another member wiring loom was stretched and one of the wires was snapped.

14. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi There.
    Well I kind of thought it was the motor as I could hear it slipping sometimes and could see the tailgate kind of bouncing a little as it was raised. I took it to honda as I wanted the professional opion since they deal with these cars daily. I was sadly dissapointed as all they did was to test it going up and down and read the fault code for £90. Which showed up a closer unit as a fault. There was no real what I call proper diagnosis done by anykind of strip down or examination of mechanical parts. Fault codes are purely what is written in the software and doesnt always shoow the true fault, they only give you cluses... good ones normally though. They wantd me to pay over £500 for a new closer unit although they would haverefunded if it didnt cure the fault, but the motor would have set me back over £1000!. I managed to source a good second hand motor for £80 with 3 months guarantee. took a couple of hours to fit and so far so good. It does have its moments from time to time. I think inclines and damp weather seem to make it play up sometimes but not like it was. I always use the electric open feature now as its one reason I bought the car. Especially on these damp windy winter days with two kids and a shed load of shopping an electric tailgate opener is such a nice feature to have.

15. Molfruit Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tony, thank you for that insight, I appreciate your reply.

Ichiban, thank you too for being here and for taking the time to respond with help. You're a gentleman and there aren't many around. I think you're an asset to the Honda brand for which you have so much enthusiasm.

I would have loved to get to the bottom of it but for me, this issue is now a nonentity as it has been sold with my much loved Accord. I traded it in for a little Toyota for the wife to use for work - she's very happy and this new car is far more appropriate for her needs and will be far cheaper to run. This has relieved a lot of stress and financial worry for me.

I must admit to feeling very down hearted at having to say goodbye to this Honda. It's a totally alien feeling to me (I never felt a tinge of sadness when I traded in my Kuro 350Z GT for my tourer some years ago and I had some real fun in that thing.) Despite its frustrating issues it is the best car I've owned and I'll remember it fondly.

When my circumstances change I will definitely get another Honda car. Until then I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a nice Honda with 2 wheels (and no electronic boot!)

My best to you all.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I feel for you its shame its come to this fella, I do offer a free service to all owners who need assistance , perhaps you haven't seen this thread http://hondakarma.com/threads/561/

don't be put off with the Honda's just be wise when you come to buy them second hand, just nip by and let me look at it.. :Wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014