Autocar Honda Accord axed in the UK

Discussion in 'News Feeds' started by Autocar, Friday 12th Jun, 2015.

1. Autocar Auto-Generated News Feed

hondaaccordaxed.

Slow-selling Honda Accord is officially dropped in the UK, with no replacement expected

The Honda Accord has been axed in the UK.

Citing a reduced market demand for the Accord in this country, Honda says it is "focusing on what the customer wants, which is the C-segment, crossover and SUV market."

The Accord faced increasing competition from more modern rivals in what has become a shrinking segment in Europe. Key rivals for the Accord include the new Ford Mondeo and Volkswagen Passat, as well as the Vauxhall Insignia.

The Japanese firm has also confirmed that there are currently no plans to bring the Accord nameplate back in the future. Just 518 units of the Accord were sold in this country in 2014. Between 1993 and 2003, the Accord was built in the UK.

The Accord is the third Honda model to be axed in the last 18 months. In February last year, the company confirmed that the Insight and CR-Z models had been dropped in this country. At the time, the firm said its short-term focus would be on its diesel engine range.

Reports from outside the UK suggest the decision has been a global one, with Australian media reporting that the car will be dropped there as well.

Get the latest car news, reviews and galleries from Autocar direct to your inbox every week. Enter your email address below:

Source: AutoCar

2. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ "More modern" does not necessarily equal "better."

Shame.

:Sobbing::Sobbing::Sobbing:

3. lefty Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

And yet Toyota have just announced a new Avensis - to include an estate as well!

Crazy that they can make it work!!!! (along with nearly all the other manufacturers, Ford Vauxhall, Mazda etc)

4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

It's a subject that has been debated (at some length!!) on HondaKarma for months/years.

Look at the current Honda line up in the UK:

- No "City" car, which is a booming segment - witness the VW Up!, Hyundai i10, Kia Picanto, Vauxhall Viva, Toyota Aygo etc etc etc.
    - No "People Carrier"
    - No sports car to replace the S2000 (although the NSX is a welcome addition)
    - Late to the party with the new HR-V. How many years after the Nissan Juke ET al?
    - No hybrid or electric offering.
    - No saloon Accord replacement to take on the Mazda 6, Ford Mondeo, BMW 3-Series etc.

When I was looking for my new car it really brought it home how limited the current range is compared to most other manufacturers.

5. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    Just makes me want to move out ...

Look at all those models available in Japan ... Covering pretty much each segment. The N Box is very popular as well as Vezel.Seen some Stepwgn and S660 tested and marketed strongly. Admittedly no EV car, hopefully something in the pipeline. We are going there anyway. Looked at Tesla recently and if I was in the market for a brand new car with ~90k to spend I'd be strongly considering the Model S.

カーラインアップ|Honda

6. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Its a pity indeed - enough to make me go to another brand as I have no desire to own any of the current offerings from Honda. Might still go for an 8th Generation Accord depending on when I get rid of my CN1 but if I hold onto it for another couple of years, I will probably go to a different marque. Bye Honda

John Dickson likes this.
  7. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's simply HUK feeding us whitewash and Bull....

A dying Segment you say? Too much competition from premium German marques you reckon?

Why is Mazda pushing the 6 upmarket then?

Why is Ford going full tilt with not only a brand new Mondeo but a Mondeo Vignale luxury range as well?

The stench of bull$#!t coming from HUK is unbearable.

8. Nighthawk Guest

Looks like I might be able to get an 8th Generation next year after chatting to the missus, but if it doesnt work out for whatever reason, I will be running out of options. Toyotas dropped the ball a long time ago, their cars are just of poor quality now, no longer are they over engineered, they are now built by accountants. I like japanese cars which wouldn't leave me many options, the new Mazda 6 is a good car but how drunk was the designer when he designed the front of the thing? It looks hideous

9. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Honda needs to wake up. Axing the Accord does not make sense.

What will happen is current Accord owners will just hang on for longer. Many will just make their current Accord last them longer. Then switch to another marque.

The current range has zero appeal to me. I don't want a CR-V. I don't want a Civic. New Jazz is too small and the HR-V will be as much use to me, I fully expect, as a wax kettle. I'll look at it but it will be like the Juke and the Mokka - just a pointless little crossover. All the disadvantages of a small car. All the disadvantages of an SUV with no advantages.

Still, after all the brainwashing I've had at work today I could always buy an Audi. I'd sooner stick hot pins in my eyes.

Now, where did I put the pins and my blowtorch?

10. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I only seen pictures of Vignale but it looks dogs danglies.
    I will go and have a look at it and book a test drive when it hit the showrooms(no idea when that is going to happen ) but i seriously like look of that car.

11. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The new Mondeo looks the business even if it is a Found On Road Dead

Ford must've lost the plot developing a car for a non existent market.... Oh hang on a second they don't spout the cr@p HUK do.

New Mondeo has been out a matter of months and already see far more than for 7 Years of 8th Generation Accord sales.

The only thing that tells you is HUK have either got it seriously wrong or there was always a more sinister motive afoot :spiteful:

AccordCU2 likes this.
  12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The problem is Honda in the UK want to emulate the success Nissan and others have been able to pull off. But Honda prices are not low as Nissan even Honda replicates the same car line up they will never been in the same pegging So why didn't they stick with the premium models sticking with premium prices it will fail as the Civic tourer has so fantastically shown its a genuine POS which is so expensive. I was having this chat with a engineer from Mercedes and he still respects what Honda is currently doing in terms of engineering but is left speechless to why Honda are making ugly undesirable cars. He also pointed out all current Honda apart from the Jazz have very poor rear and restrictive visibility within the car despite the massive wing mirrors a lot of customers are being put off with the Civic and CR-V which is absolutely bang on.

13. Nighthawk Guest

Honda needs to sort themselves out otherwise they will start dropping the ball leaving themselves open to other marques and segments of the market

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would say in the car segment Honda has already begun to decline since 2012, unless the new offering this summer don't sell like hot cakes you will find Honda announcing major restructuring.

There is already talks of shutting the Honda institute and outsource all Honda training to the 3rd party American firm.

15. Nighthawk Guest

Its a pity, it really is.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It will change let these European leadership in charge make those mistakes it will get Honda Japan to intervene sooner, but Honda goodwill has been damaged it no longer the power house it use to be,

It hurts so much to say it but the glory days are long gone and it's destined to the history books.

17. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I think the thing that really surprises me is that with the "boom" in cars a size below a regular supermini (like the Hyundai i10, VW Up! etc.) Honda haven't looked to their domestic range and tried something here.

It would seem other manufacturers are using that segment - with aggressive PCP deals on low monthly payments and with small deposits - to hook in younger buyers. Whether there is any money in it, I don't know...but getting customers used to, and liking, your brand is a sure way to get repeat purchases further down the line.

18. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Someone suggested on HUK's Facebook page a while back that it would be a gold mine if they introduced the Brio into Europe.

Someone from HUK replied with their usual brush off thanking them for their ideas and "It's unusual that someone will present an idea that Honda had not already thought of...." or whatever the standard spiel is regarding submitting ideas to Honda on their website says.

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The arrogance itself will be the downfall.
    - - - Updated - - -
    We'll both the 1.6 and 2.0 Diesel engine in this new Avenusis are sourced fromBMW , talk about Toyota runned accountants LOL.The so called largest Japanese auto maker doesn't make their own engines. Toyota suck really