Engine & Gearbox Honda Accord Clutch master cylinder squeak on Petrol and Diesel cars

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Thursday 10th Nov, 2011.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This one of the biggest annoyance for a lot of prefacelift car owners the dreaded clicking and grating sound.Honda have addressed the design and manufacturing issues arisen from the vendor. There are two way of fixing this problem the unofficial and the preferred method and the other method which is a workaround and not a complete solution. I have been told by reliable sources the 2007 production models do not have this issue they have got the revised modified part fitted from the factory. This is applicable to both petrol and diesel cars up to production models 2006.

What are the Symptom ?
    Clicking or grating noise when the clutch pedal is depressed. Very noticeable when stuck in stop and start traffic conditions, the constant use of the clutch pedal causes the friction.

What is the Cause? There are three possible causes: 1. Interference of internal parts in the clutch master cylinder. 2. Metal contact caused by a lack of grease where the clutch pipe connector is coupled. 3. Interference due to remaining burr inside the master cylinder where the clutch pipe connector is coupled.

The preferred fix 1. The spring shape inside the clutch master cylinder has been changed. 2. Grease application has been increased. 3. The deburring process has been improved. The modified part number is 46920-S7A-A01 when changed it is supplied with a special rubber grease and new o rings and brackets for the rubber hoses and metal pipe unions. It is recommended these hoses and metal pipe ends are lubricated with the grease supplied in the kit. This is the source & cause of the noise.

The workaround. If owners don’t want to spend money on the new master cylinder they can lubricate the push rod which connects the master cylinder to the clutch pedal. My moving the pedal up and down you want to get rubber grease into the crevices. Ensuring the rod is lubricated at the source with the master cylinder. Please note due to constant use the heat builds up on the rod will dry out this grease. It will be a repetitive process again to stop the noise. Warning Do not lubricate the push road with another grease than Molokote G-Rapid plus. Don’t not use general purpose or even WD40 on it, it will make things worse causing the rubber part to swell.

TIP. Another important measure to ensure a perfectly and smooth operation is to change the brake fluid in the clutch master cylinder. I personally change it every year without fail. A How to and DIY will follow soon.

2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Re: Clutch master cylinder squeak on Petrol and Diesel cars

Lings site has a different part no. even for the 07 & 08 Accords?

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Re: Clutch master cylinder squeak on Petrol and Diesel cars

It depends which method you look this part number up on the ling’s website. The part number I have quoted if the original Honda Genuine part number. If you were to go to the lings website and go into their parts section and choose Honda parts.

Then input the part number you will get a price. Now staying on their website and selecting this
    Lings EPC

You will find the original part number masked to an internal part referencing code , but most importantly see the difference of price on the same part on the same site.

So it pays to know the original Honda part number.

4. izi New Member Getting Started

I had CMC replaced for my 2007 facelift accord in Aug 2011 by honda dealer and its just started to squeak again. New CMC's part number was H46920-S7A-A04. I'm thinking of taking it back to the dealer soon as it'll be a year on 18th Aug. The squeak isn't very bad at the moment but noticeable and a bit annoying when in a start stop traffic situation. Also the squeak isn't there all the time. It usually start after driving a while. But I'm sure it'll get worse over the time. Do you think the dealer will replace the part as it's within one years time from the last replacement. Any suggestions are welcome.

Last edited: Sunday 5th Aug, 2012
  5. ACC-CDI-2T Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cologne
    2009 my CMC squeak problems completely stopped until now. :Smile: I use some silicone grease each year to lubricate the CMC-rod, -> there, where it enters the cylinderhousing. (according to IchibanAccords spend-money-recommendation). The hydraulic clutch system (filled with brake fluid) uses seals made of "EPDM" - they are resistant against / compatible to silicone grease. A big advantage of silicone grease is, that it much longer lasts on the lubrictated surfaces than oil. It also has a good temperature range.

Last edited: Sunday 5th Aug, 2012
  6. izi New Member Getting Started

Do you just grease the rod or do you inject the grease into the cylinder housing? I guess I'm gonna try my luck at the dealer first (hope they just replace it under warranty). By the way my accelerator pedal is also squeaking - not exactly sure where the squeak is actually coming from but can I use silicon grease for this as well?

7. ACC-CDI-2T Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cologne
    I just grease the rod. Pushing down the pedal with the hands, a small paint brush is most suitable to do this job. Then I push the pedal many times and repeate the lubrication-procedure. It takes a few days, before the squeaking completely stopps, cause silicone grease is viscous and needs a little time to reach his aim (-surface). But first, I would do the same and visit my dealer ...

I´m not 100% sure, I think you can use silicone grease for the ends of the accelerator cable as well, but standard grease is intended for the pedalsystem ...

8. BLUEONDA Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Anyone got pictures where you grease the push rod to the master cylinder?

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I could do it tomorrow I have busted one my knees, I will try buddy.

10. BLUEONDA Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok thanks man.

11. paulchilds Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Honda Accord tourer with noisy clutch pedal

When I depress my clutch pedal it makes a creaking noise, how can I rectify this ?

Regards

Paul Childs

12. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Re: Honda Accord tourer with noisy clutch pedal

Not sure whether you get same symptoms but have a read here it might help you get to the bottom of it.
    http://hondakarma.com/threads/95/

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Re: Honda Accord tourer with noisy clutch pedal

The aftermarket cure as recommended by Honda use this product gauranteed results , if doesnt stop squeeking then you have to change the master cyclinder http://hondakarma.com/posts/19037/

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  14. justfred New Member Getting Started

Clutch pedal Click

Hi there,
    I have just joined AOC this is my first post.

My lovely 2007 VTEC Accord has just developed a clicking sound when I press the clutch pedal fully in, there is no problem changing gears, and the car drives great, but the clicking sound I get every time I have to change gears is driving me nuts, the sound is a bit like something plastic snagging on the pedal but I can see nothing touching. The car has done 17,000 miles. Anyone got any ideas what it could be.
    Thanks
    Pete

15. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

16. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    Re: Clutch pedal Click

white grease spray £6 from B&q push pedal in and just spray up= sorted

17. justfred New Member Getting Started

Thank you guys for the quick replies, what a great site this is, I will take the car to Honda to-morrow, now I'm armed with all of your information, looking at the worst how much do you think they will charge to replace the clutch master cylinder,

Thanks
    Pete

Ichiban likes this.
  18. sabau_adi Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Diesel i-CTDi Clutch clicking noise

Last year in December my clutch start to slip. So I’ve been to a Honda Shop and changed the clutch kit (clutch disk, pressure plate and bearing ). I’ve also told them to change the oil in the clutch pedal pomp, because it had a darkish color. After this operation the clutch did not slip anymore and clutch pedal was much softer. They told me the flywheel is OK and does not need to be replaced.

After driving it a while I’ve noticed that the disengagement course of the pedal is longer. The disengagement starts after I lifted a little my foot off the clutch pedal and it ends almost when I take the entire foot off the pedal. If I release my foot faster there is a feeling like the disengagement is done2 times. Has somebody or had this issue ?

And I have another issue that I had also before the clutch kit replacement. When changing from gear 1 to gear 2, after I release entirely my foot off the clutch pedal, I can hear and feel a click in the clutch pedal like something is engaging. This is reproducible only if I stop the engine and start it again. What could it be ?

I hope I’ve been clear enough.
    Thanks.

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  20. sabau_adi Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Re: Diesel i-CTDi Clutch clicking noise

I've been yesterday at the Honda Dealer for this problems.

First one was solved by repairing the clutch pedal pump. There is a repair kit for it. Some kind a piston with a spring.
    The second problem they do not know from what it is. They adjusted the pedal after the first operation. It is not from the cruise control sensor (first presumptions). They said that they will ask the Budapest Dealer for this problem to see if somebody else had a problem like mine. If not i will have to let them my car to search for the problem.