Engine & Gearbox Honda Accord Coupe - V6 - Cambelt or Chain ?

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Sbk1972, Thursday 2nd May, 2013.

1. Sbk1972 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

If cambelt, what are the mileage intervals ?

SBK

2. h.aire Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It's a cambelt, do it at 70k to be safe. Don't forget Tensioner & water pump.

3. jaywood Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Brands
    Personally I wouldn't run a rubber belt for 70, 000 miles.

4. h.aire Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Honda recommend 90k I think, but it really depends on your luck. They're like time bombs. Some belts can go for 130k but some don't even last 50k. Continental do a good Timing belt kit, I've always used those in replacement to Honda stuff when money's tight. Good quality & tensioner included in price :Smile: SKF are a good brand too if you really have no money but your J30 is worth the £180 or so for the Continental kit.

5. jaywood Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Brands
    Thankfully mine was done at a dealer 2 weeks before I snapped it up.
    Just approaching 40,000 and has had enough oil to cover BP's mishap in it's 13 years. :/

As for luck I've had two fail well short 60k.
    Never ever ever again am I going to rebuild a head because of some string and rubber. Granted as long as the belt stays under tension they will last for yonks with a little mechanical sympathy. The nasty design of the tensioner is the week link in the chain, if you get my meaning of chain.
    Err rattle rattle cannot see why Honda doesn't knock up a couple of engines based on the vfr lump with gear driven cam action.

Last edited: Saturday 11th May, 2013