Introductions Honda Accord i-CDTi problem

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by hatty5060, Wednesday 30th Mar, 2016.

1. hatty5060 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom hatty Milton keynes
    Hello i hardly post in this forum because I've never really needed to, but the time has come where i believe i have to.
    I own a Honda Accord I-CDTI 2005, i have an intermittent problem. The car stops accelerating from 4th and 5th gear, even when the foot is down it feels like its losing speed. Also sometimes it struggles to accelerate from stand still, pretty dangerous living in Milton Keynes with the roundabouts. Sometimes it blips from 800-900rpm when this is happening. It is intermittent as it drives fine sometimes. I must say that when i put my foot down sometimes i get a quick drop in acceleration like its starved of fuel or air for a second then goes back to normal.
    What i have had done already is:
    Fuel filter
    New TPS sensor
    Throttle body cleaned thoroughly
    Intake manifold cleaned even though it was not that dirty.
    I think thats all that has been done.
    Can anybody else think on anything it could be from past experience?
    Thank you in advance.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Fuel filter a genuine Honda one?

3. hatty5060 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

In all honesty i got a brand new one from GSF.I think its the same design and it fitted fine.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    legend-ary likes this.
  5. hatty5060 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ichiban likes this.
  6. hatty5060 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have fitted a new fuel filter from honda, after bleeding the fuel system it started and run OK. Now it takes ages to get from 1k-2k RPM. Turbo kicks in well but it feels that I'm down a lot of torque. I've disconnected the battery for while to see if does anything.

7. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    You were right to change the fuel filter, even if it didn't help. That aftermarket one would probably have caused a problem for you one day.

You've not mentioned any warning lights, so I'm assuming there aren't any?

Have you checked out the EGR valve? The pipework doesn't have to be cleaned out, but the valve needs to be clean enough to close fully and without any sticking. Your pre-facelift model has the superior electrically-operated valve so is a little more reliable than the later vacuum-operated nightmare, nevertheless they can play up. If you do remove it to have a look, then it's a good idea to test how well it's working by applying voltage to the pins, as shown here...

8. hatty5060 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

OK thanks I'll take a look but in all honesty I do not think it's the EGR valve.

9. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Why not? If it's sticking open then the ingested exhaust will be displacing the fresh, oxygen-laden air into the cylinders and causing running problems.

Otherwise, I suggest you find someone with a Honda Diagnostic System (or equivalent target-setting interactive diagnostic system) and have them test each engine sub-system. That should at least pinpoint the problem area.

10. hatty5060 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers buddy I've had a think and look at the video you supplied and it honestly could be it! I'll get it looked at as soon as someone will take me.

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

12. hatty5060 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi yea thank you I'm going to take a look tomorrow at it.

13. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Do make sure you test it... Cleaning does not cure all problems!

14. hatty5060 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes I have tools to test it, do I just buy another to make sure do you reckon?

15. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    They cost a fortune. I'd clean it and test it as shown in that YT clip before considering replacement, which would probably mean getting a secondhand one.... Lots of old 7th Generation diesels get scrapped because their timing chains snap, but they probably have working EGR valves.

16. hatty5060 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cool dude I'll give it a clean then and see what's what. Cheers

17. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

18. hatty5060 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm still waiting for an EGR valve to be delivered. I'll update once it's fitted. I hope it cures it.

FirstHonda likes this.
  19. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    You bought one! Did you prove that the old one was faulty? If so, then no need for hope!

If you've bought a secondhand one then I strongly suggest that you test it before fitting it.

FirstHonda likes this.
  20. hatty5060 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've put cleaner in and it's still the same. Drivable though as it's slightly faster from 1-2k RPM. It's fine after 2k. Yea I'll get it tested before I fit it. Thanks