Suspension, Steering and Brakes Honda Accord i-CTDi sub frame bolts

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by mushaid, Friday 18th Dec, 2015.

1. mushaid Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I bought accord executive 2.2 cdti 2006 done 55,000 car few weeks ago from a arnold clark garage in Dundee after driving for a few days i noticed that I was getting feeling that something was lose on the steering column every time I set off turning left or right so took it to my local arnold clark and they tightened some bolts on the steering sub frame and it was OK for about a week now it's feeling the same again and they tightened it second time in a week or so and they are saying it's a 9 year old car that's why it's doing that. So I said to them it has to be the bolts or the bushes that giving way. Has any body had this problem.
    - - - Updated - - -
    A friend of mine says the following ; If that's the problem, all they're doing is compressing fatigued mounting rubbers more each time.
    Repeatedly doing them up won't make the problem go away, just put off the work. They need changing.

image_zpss55rpo8r. what do you think please help if you can.

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
  3. mushaid Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i am having problems addig my car photo to garage

Attached Files:

4. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    I think that something is "lost in translation" there.

There is no such thing as a "steering sub frame". There is a "sub frame" which is in the image in your initial post, and if the garage is tightening those bolts, then I would be very worried about something.

Note that there is a "steering hanger beam" on which the steering column "hangs". If that is loose, likewise I'd be worried.

Finally, the steering rack is fixed to the main "sub frame", if the rack is loose and they keep tightening those bolts, again I'd be worried.

Does this garage know what they are doing, or alternatively, are you sure you haven't misunderstood what they are doing ?

5. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I think you should be more forceful with the garage who sold you a car with a dangerous fault! Maybe discuss the matter with your local Trading Standards office? Trying to fob you off with bullsh1t suggestions that this is somehow normal on a 9 year old car is insulting, but indicates that they do accept there is a problem... so use this as ammunition against them. It isn't necessary for you to investigate the actual problem, as you'll merely get dragged into distracting arguments about what part is and isn't responsible.

When was the MOT last done? Was wear of any suspension/steering components mentioned?

Used car dealers really are useless, low-life parasites.

jimjams likes this.
  6. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Exactly what I was thinking too, but I refrained and kept it technical LOL

Zebster likes this.
  7. mushaid Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

mushaidNew MemberGetting Started
    I bought accord executive 2.2 cdti 2006 done 55,000car few weeks ago from a arnold clark garage in Dundee after driving for a few days i noticed that I was getting feeling that something was lose on thesteering column every time I set off turning left or right so took it to my local arnold clark and they tightened some bolts on the steering sub frame and it was OK for about a week now it's feeling the same again and they tightened it second time in a week or so and they are saying it's a 9 year old car that's why it's doing that. So I said to them it has to be the bolts or the bushes that giving way. Has any body had this problem.
    - - - Updated - - -
    the garage is saying they donot see the problem but out of goodwill will change only the bolts. what should i do ? will that fix the fault ? is it possiable that the bolts could be faulty or am i just wasting my time ? and that the garage is just fobbing me off by this half hearted goodwill ?

8. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

you need to get a 3rd party to look at the car and to tell you exactly what is wrong with it

phone your local Trading Standards (as suggested in #5) and/or pay for an independent inspection

how long ago did you buy the car from this used-car-dealer, and how old is the MOT ?

9. mushaid Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i bought it on 18-11-15 and reported the fault on 26-11-15.

10. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I suspect that this particular used-car-dealer falls into the category described by @Zebster
    "useless, low-life parasites"

many non-franchised used-car-dealers want to get maximum money for minimum effort, they usually sub-contract any remedial work to a local outfit on a retainer for bread-and-butter work who are over-worked already

Zebster and AccordCU2 like this.
  11. mushaid Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

This is a very big company in the UK. Called arnold clark. Dealership

12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I wouldn't have thought the sub frame etc would be classed as a wear and tear serviceable item so surely it would be covered under warranty? For that mileage it's a little worrying even at 9 years!

13. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I think you'll find that all dealerships operate on a franchise basis.

For example, all Honda dealers in the UK are franchises, which means that they have a contract with Honda UK to meet the Terms and Conditions of interfacing to the customer, as stipulated by Honda UK. If they fail to meet those conditions, it is likely that Honda UK can impose penalties, and certainly withdraw the Honda name from the dealership.

This also applies to all dealerships under other marques (e.g. Renault, BMW, etc, etc) but the enforcement of the way they interface to the customer is not as stringent as Japanese dealerships.

This independent dealership that you bought your car from, will also operate in exactly the same way i.e. there will be an HQ somewhere that issues the franchise contracts. But I doubt if they have the "bandwidth" to ensure that each dealer operates to the same level of satisfaction that the Honda franchise does.

You can try going back to them and asking for the phone number of the HQ of the franchise network, but even if you do get it, you may find as much success as if you had bought a Renault from a Renault dealer.
    - - - Updated - - -
    tbh I don't think that anyone knows what the problem really is, the OP needs an independent inspection, and if the car fails the inspection, then by law the dealer has to either put the fault right or give the OP his money back

14. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Could be worth visiting a good motor engineer rather than a regular garage?

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Do they exist in today's world half of them are now quality part swappers armed with laptops. Computer say no gone lads keep up with the part swapping we will find the root cause when this light goes out.

Pottermus likes this.
  16. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland

The only decent one I know is Kenneth Brown Engineering, he was the only one who could fix the MPS where everyone else couldn't, the only one to prove the turbo fault in the CR-V when Honda couldn't (or didn't want to admit it). I believe he's a qualified engineer and also a qualified mechanic and all his staff are qualified also, something to do with having seven certs each or along that line but can't remember the details.

They also build and race their own rally cars.

The only downside is that he's always very busy so you have to be prepared to wait a week or so.

My uncle is very experienced but having been retired for a while now he's out of date with all the modern technology. He's from the era where main dealers actually had decent mechanics who could identify most problems just with their ear. I guess all the technology in today's cars means you have little choice half of the time but to plug it in to diagnostics.

17. sidPM-EG6 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Raph Rico Jersey
    There is NOTHING normal about a loose sub frame or a subframe getting loose..
    It is dangerous , that is a moving hazard .. if u are still driving it. Stop driving it lol take it somewhere or drive slowly please...

(hope im not wrong) But i am pretty sure, but not 100% (as im not familiar with that motor) . That one of ur main engine mounts is attached to the subframe..
    So we talking about Engine , and steering rack. they are both in risk and so are you.
    IMO , id go back to those pricks and get my money back.
    Never in my life iv seen a car with a loose subframe but i cud just be lucky with cars.. But. i can say that every car iv owned / drove and or even messed about with it. They were all over 15 years old..
    My actual car is like 20years old and his subframe sticks like shit. And it Holds alot together..in MY case not only steering rack, we talkin about steering rack, Engine Mount, anti roll bar, ABS pump, LCA'S which are attached to ur steering knuckle upper control arm etc... Its like the whole car depends on the subframe.. if it is faulty ... well ...

And btw its actually a pain in the arse to get it out.. cuz the bolts are so tighten up from sitting there probly for all their life....
    im actually trying to get it off and its a pain in the arse no doubt...

just my 2 cents :Smile:

good luck mate