Electrical & Lights Honda Accord LKAS warning light on dashboard

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Friday 31st Aug, 2012.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This is for all Honda Accord owners with ADAS, it nothing major but you need to be aware of this and avoid panicking when you see the LKAS warning appear on your screen out of the blue.

A few weeks ago a lorry got into our parking space at work to drop off some electrical gear. Since my car was in the way I just got in inserted the key to the second position and pushed the car a few feet forward to make way for the lorry.

I did not start the engine,this is not the first time I have moved my car in such a manner I did it all the time on my 7th Generation when they needed me to move my car. I locked the car and went back into work. Home time got into the car and within a few feet of travelling the LKAS light come one :Aghast: and the LKAS will not engage or disengage via the steering buttons, so all the way home for nine miles I saw this warning on the dash and kept on wondering what has caused this ?:Unknown:.

photo (3).

Got home got the HIM out to interrogate the EPS status and look for DTC's were stored within the ECU. I found the DTC code 21-02 which is an electronic power steering fault.

What is DTC 21-02? Comparison Between the Vehicle Speed and the Engine Speed Signal. I removed the error and the LKAS system service was restored to an operational state.

Conclusion and steps to avoid it .

The parking bay at my place of work are rather long white parking lines when I put the key in to the second position the camera turns on and looks at these long white markings. Now the LKAS system was not engaged prior me parking the car so that equates to the camera is always scanning the road marking irrespective of LKAS being engage or disengaged. Since I moved the car without the engine running the LKAS camera scanning and the slight movement of the steeering wheel was enough for it fall with the conditions and parameter set of the DTC code.

So next time you want to move your ADAS equipped Accord a few feet start the engine and move it.

if you do get this error you will need to go to your dealer or come to me I will happily do it and give your car a free health check. :Smile:

2. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Very interesting, the LKAS detected the white lines so recognised the car was moving, but got confused because it couldn't detect an RPM or speed reading from the ECU. It gives you an insight into the complexity of these devices.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I agree the 8th Generation ADAS is a complex beast,I being the Honda geek the main wiring harness under the dash is way bigger than the 7th Generation. Accords has been using multiplex since 7th Generation and I am surprised to see the harness just super size..

There will be other such DTC and fail safe parameters which no doubt I will come across in my ownership.:Wink:

4. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks for this CJ.

Never moved the car like you did, so thankfully will avoid this LKAS error on mine, but definitely useful for those new to ADAS and not accustomed to how advanced it really is.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Np bud the more we know about our cars the better.

6. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Have to admit though - those Accord owners that do NOT have ADAS have no idea how much feature functionality and sharper driving they are missing out on.

7. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

LOL i got poor man spec and no ADAS unfortunately but i do have sports grill which you boys can't have:What:

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  9. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

When you can barge traffic out the way with ADAS, the cars in your wake can't see the front of your car so the sports grille is largely redundant anyway! :Wink:

10. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You two know you want sports grille,you are close but no cigar:Rolf:
    Joking aside,just pulling your leg.
    Even though i don't have ADAS but i heard only good things about it.
    When times come to change i will be looking to buy Honda with ADAS.

11. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Trust me Zoran, its like nothing else.

Not even the three main German-also-rans have a system so advanced. They are still playing catch up.

12. naslam968 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

London
    Well I didn't use my 2006 Accord car with ADAS for good few days, this morning try to start but battery didn't have enough juice to fire up, I jump started with Civic Hybrid and All three lights of ABS, VSA and Red Hand brake light came on, didn't had time to investigate because running late for work so drove to work and on route try to use theAdaptive cruise and keep getting message ACC fail along with ACC LKAS green light on in the dashboard with no cruise control.

Upon arriving to work switch off the and locked it, couple of hours later during my break went back to car park and switch on the car and sigh of relief all warning lights are gone. However ACC LKAS was still on in green.
    Return juorney to home Cruise control is working but still have ACC LKAS on in green.

I guess need to clear DTC code for ACC to go back to normal and as I don't have HIM or HDS I will have to wait or buy one for myself. Tomorrow will check the battery and find out what went wrong with battery.

In the meantime I hope ACC LKAS don't turn to amber color.

13. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    @naslam968 how & in which order did you connect up the batteries?
    and how did you disconnect the jump leads?

14. naslam968 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

London
    I connected the postive on both cars and connect the negative to Civic first then to Accord. On first attempt still no Joy and then I moved the earth on Accord so it would have better contact and voila car started.
    Removing Positive from Accord then Civic followed by Negative cable.

15. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    I had to jump start mine recently (which I don't like doing) as it generally (from experience) causes some delicate electronic component to blow or malfunction.
    So I was very careful about everything.
    Luckily everything seems ok. But sometimes you don't notice these things until much later on.

Did you connect the negative to the -ve terminal on the Accord battery?

- Never will forget some guys trying to jump start a Merc, and the result was that it started a fire on the car........lol..... no one was hurt.