Engine & Gearbox Honda Accord oxygen sensor LAF sensor malfunction resulting in MIL on dash

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Monday 9th Jan, 2012.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    My 2004 tourer had this issue in 2009 with 78000 miles on the dash, when I scanned the code it was suggesting the heating element on the primary laf sensor* ( before the catalytic converter) was reporting an error. This came to me as a shock as car had relative low mileage all my cars are pampered to the hill with religious maintenance regime and huge dose of mechanical sympathy thrown in for good measure. *Laf sensor aka lean air fuel.

The strict maintenance regime is as follows
    • 6000 mile oil change with oil filter using fully synthetic ester grade oil
    • Full service well within the mileage or time
    • From day one when the car was rolled out of the showroom it was run on Shell Optimax and Vpower
    • All parts used on the car for maintenance were genuine Honda parts
    • All Honda recommended change intervals were halved.
    I was resigned to the fact it must have been an iffy batch of shell fuel or oil or just plain old end of life for the part. I ordered the new part from the dealers as well as the special tool to remove the laf sensor. To make matter worse at that very time there was a massive issue of silicone poisoning of supermarkets petrol and it was very much in the limelight. May be the Shell fuel has been contaminated in one of the tanker or at the refineries etc etc .
    It was pointless dwelling on the source of the issue it was a simple case of changing the defective part. When I used my HDS it was clear to see the sensor was still working but the heater element was showing no volts at all .I ramped the car up and attempted to remove the o2 sensor , it didn’t want to budge after repeated attempts to get if off it did not budge this is despite being drowned in half a can of penetrating fluid. Heated it with DIY paint striper blow torch still didn’t budge. At this time if I applied more torque by a longer breaker bar, it was going to break the sensor in two and leave the thread pitch in the O2 bung. Far too risky packed up my tools off to Holdcroft Honda for them to do it. The lazy option…:Aghast: and I was glad I did too!!

I won’t have found out about the below. Honda issued a TSB regarding this issue for the following vehicles.

Model Chassis code Year model
    Accord Saloon CL7 & CL9 2003 thru 2007
    Accord Tourer CM1 & CM2 2003 thru 2007
    Civic 5 Door FK2 2006
    CR-V RD8 2005 and 2006
    S2000 AP1 2006 thru 2008

The symptoms Driving a long you get the MIL indicator light up on the dash, with no power loss.

The cause On scanning the ECU via the DLC port to find one of the following DTC’s P2A00, P0135 or P1172 are stored. When the sensor was heated by the sensor heater, the water in the exhaust gas adhered to the sensor, causing it to crack. This causes an abnormal signal to be interpreted by the ECM which results in the MIL to light up.

The fix An ECU update to stop the heater from heating the sensor when there is a high concentration of water in the exhaust gas.

All these Honda car have had this issue fixed from the factory.
    Accord : From 2008 year model onwards.
    CR-V : From 2007 year model onwards.
    Civic : From 2007 year model onwards.

Honda approved this change with no issues, and thanks for HH to point this out and saving me excess of 250 pounds of parts and labour. So this is for all Honda petrol owners who plan to keep their cars and get this issue resolved for good get to a dealer to update the ECU software otherwise this will keep on happening. Another reason to take your car to Honda dealers as they checked on the system for this issue and it came up as an outstanding product update. Try getting this info at your local garage and grease monkey ..NO CHANCE And remember use genuine Honda Parts.:Grin:

GENUINE PARTS bar code logo AOCUK.

The update being applied to car via the MVCI

60214_011CAB23-CFAF-4219-BF02-85816EB3A6D3. 60215_19906A18-84CB-4850-8CDE-AD24E57B6DB6. 60216_E0D50B9B-1916-4B37-BAB1-753B0364FB52.

Josh likes this.
  2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

A1 info, thank you.

3. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

4. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good info CJ and as you say only Honda would know this!

5. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Oh and recognise that barcode....:Grin:

Ichiban likes this.
  6. Josh New Member Getting Started

Bosnia And Herzegovina Josh Livno
    I know this is an old post but need to ask...
    How can i find out the number and date of TSB regarding this problem.
    Now I'm resolving problem with replacing broken 1st oxygen sensor on my 2008 CL7 accord and it would be good to update ECU and disable further costs for same problem.

Greetings from Bosnia and Herzegovina!

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You need to take you car to a Honda dealer for ECU update as per TSB HUK000000001389 LAF sensor malfunction update to curb the water vapor damaging the sensor.

Josh likes this.
  8. Josh New Member Getting Started

Tnx, Ichiban!

Ichiban likes this.
  9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Josh any updates on this ?

10. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    @Ichiban there is some pictures of the code on an MVCI screen on your 7 gen log I put on there. Can you update this thread with them on here?

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yes mate there is I will do it now.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  13. Josh New Member Getting Started

Changed broken sensor (denso 1424), erased error (P0135) and so far Accord running with no problem.

Regarding ECU update, have to tell some facts...Honda does not have authorized dealer nor service in Bosnia and Herzegovina, nearest are ones in Croatia. I contacted authorized service, they told me it's possible to make update but with charge. They weren't aware of problem regarding functionality of sensor with presence of water vapor in system.

Have to say, authorized Honda importer, dealer and servicers (Honda Ruting, Croatia) do not have a good reputation in area. Customer has to fight to qualify for the guarantee...

Ichiban, thank you very much for your interest in my problem.