Body, Paint & Styling Honda Accord - Rear Bumper Painting Problems

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Thursday 18th Apr, 2013.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Got a bit of a strange one here. I had a bash at spraying my rear bumper myself (there's a failed DIY thread on it) and ended up putting it into a professional bodyshop. This is now the forth day because they've been having problems, at first it was reacting to the paint so they ended up stripping it right back to the plastic and apparently it's still reacting to the paint.

It's in the oven just now and I'm picking it up in about an hour but apparently they've given up with it. I'm assuming they would have prepared and primed it properly and they said they can normally do two bumpers a day and have never come across anything like this before.

Does anyone have any ideas what on earth is happening? Is there something in the Honda plastic that could be causing this that isn't in other car bumper plastics?

Cheers

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    are you still cleaning the surface with petrol?

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Its not me anymore. Professional body shop. Picked the car up and its not as bad as i was expecting but there is a slight transparency about it so it looks a little light and also a few marks where it seems as though the paint has separated. They took it right back to the plastic. They said they had never seen anything like this before and they are doing two cars a day!

- - - Updated - - -

Here's some photos:

2013-04-18 17.47.07. 2013-04-18 17.47.17. 2013-04-18 17.47.24.

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I just thought I'd update on this in case anyone is interested. I went back to the bodyshop and he had a look at it and reckoned we should wait a few weeks to let it fully harden as there's so much paint down. Then he'll try buffing it up and if it doesn't make it perfect then he's going to try again and this time take the car in (I removed the bumper for him last time) and provide me with a courtesy car. He doesn't like to give up and I think this is becoming a challenge for him! lol I asked and he used sealant etc so is baffled by it at the moment.

It's worth noting that he hasn't asked for any money despite it not being all that bad, if anything it's certainly an improvement from the original state. I'd still offer up at least half for the time and effort he's put in but it sounds like he's not going to ask for a penny until it's perfect. It's nice when you deal with a genuine business :Smile:

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    A new solution presented itself. :Happy:

Bumper.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Looks perfect !

What did you have done ?

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    The guy who owns the body shop that struggled the first time never charged me as he wasn't happy with the work. He did offer for me to bring it back and he'd try a different sealant but to be honest I don't think he ever wanted to see that bumper again as it backed up his work by 2 days from the constant attempts at it, so he wasn't happy. Not my fault, there must be something serious on the plastic which was reacting so I wasn't too keen to get it sprayed again but unfortunately the condition of it was getting worse with cracks appearing.

As luck would have it, someone hit it the other day! lol Even better it happened at work by an employee in a work's vehicle and on CCTV. Mitchell Ingles, who I assume would have the latest fancy kit to get it sprayed right wanted £320 and my car would be off the road for 2-4 days. A brand new bumper factory painted was £380 and could be delivered to the local dealer in two days. I went with the latter and fitted it in their car park! :Smile:

SpeedyGee likes this.
  8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Result :Smile:

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That is why I don't bother getting bumpers painted it cheaper to buy a brand new one already painted and flat as mirror. I have a set of 7th Generation Tourer bumpers at the bottom of the garden sat there..I may put them on sale !

10. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    The guy at Honda said the bumper came from Belgium!? Does that sound right?

11. Topper Harley Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I replaced my front bumper and it came from Belgium too .