Aftermarket Kit Honda Accord Remote Flip Key

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by David Jackson, Thursday 1st Mar, 2012.

1. David Jackson Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all - I am quite new here, but thought I would start questions right off the bat...

I have just bought an 07 accord, with no spare key. Honda want £200 all in for a new one. I have seen these on fleabay...can anyone give me advice about getting this cut/programmed? Will it even work?

Many thanks in advance to all who spend the time to read and/or reply to this message. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards, David
  2. demon-knight Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I just got my car a few weeks ago and it only came with one key, in the end I started hassling the dealer about it and eventually they caved, ordered they key and programed it for free.

I said that it was shocking service that only one key was supplied and that when the questionnaire came round about dealer/branch satisfaction I would mark them down for not being very helpful, soon as they said that the couldn't do enough for me.

Im not saying it would work but it might be worth a shot.

If they do you can get the folding blanks and change the innards like this one and cut the key.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi David ,The only problem I am aware of the ebay flip type of keys are the thickness of the blade after its cut they do feel really restrictive in the barrel. In the past people have had it filled down but it has to be right otherwise you start to damage the ignition barrel.
  4. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I used to use one and eventually the spring in the flip part got a bit floppy and the whole thing just became a bit tatty although they may have improved.

Don`t forget these really are just blanks. Apart from trying to find somewhere to cut it you will need a transponder chip (or whatever its called) to be able to start the car and I guess you will only be able to get this from Honda
  5. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You'll need a new transponder and then a new remote with buttons bit too, hence why Honda want £200 for a new key cos they will be the most expensive bit.
  6. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    You transfer the buttons and transponder chip from your current remote into the new key remote.

Shame about the quality of the key blanks I'd really like a folding one. Do honda do an alternative?
  7. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

He only has 1 key and was thinking about this as a second key, thats how it reads to me anyway so he would need to buy all the key internals. Does the 8th Generation have a flip key? I wonder if you could get an 8th Generation key from Honda and get that programmed cos I'd love a decent flip key too.
  8. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Ah right, I missed that bit. Got distracted at the idea of a folding key fob. Yeah sounds like he is looking for an extra key fob.
  9. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I previously bought a flip key and never used it. Whilst it looked ok i don't think long term it would have lasted.

CJ can you program keys?
  10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Will be once I get round to buying the new MVCI bud.
  11. David Jackson Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for all the replies.
    I have just bought it, and I only have the one key, so I need to get a new one.
    Its £200 from Honda, but was wondering if I could jst buy a flip-key, and get that cut and reprogrammed.
    My experience suggests that the problem free answer is too just go to Honda and get rinsed.
  12. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

When I bought one about 18 months ago all I had to do was get the blade cut and then remove the transponder from my original and stick it in the new flip key along with the 3 buttons. Unfortunately you don`t have a second key so yes I think you`re going to have to give Mr Honda £200
  13. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Or risk it without a spare.
  14. David Jackson Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the reply...couple of questions...

Did it work properly?
    Does it still work?
    Was it a pain to sort?
    Where do you gete the key blade cut?
    Any regrets?
  15. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

It did work properly, yes

It does still work but the springs that flip the key out and hold it in got a bit loose and so the key didn`t fully retract and it started to look a bit tatty.

Wasn`t a pain no. The hardest part was finding someone to cut the key, and then it took a bit of filing to get it to work properly.

I went to a place local to me in Southport that my local Honda dealer told me about.

No regrets but got bored with it mostly because it started to look a bit tatty.
  16. demon-knight Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just ordered a blank flip key, should be here by the end of the month so will post once I get it.
    David Jackson likes this.
  17. demon-knight Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Got my flip key delivered but can't find anyone who will cut it for me.

Tried a few places to get the key cut in the area and none would touch it :Fear:.

So if anyone knows anywhere in the Durham area I can get one cut let me know.

Pic below of the key I got

18. negum Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I too only have one key with my Accord. Makes me wonder where the 2nd key goes with these people who sell on their cars...

Anyway, I've been reading around and found some instructions on how to re-program a key so if I buy a genuine second hand key on eBay would it work if I just re-program it? Or does it have to be re-programmed by Honda?

Ichiban - are you able to program keys?
  19. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I went through all of this when I first brought the car, I let my mother drive it and in her infinite wisdom she snapped the key in the lock, the only key.

I brought a replica key including electronics for around £30-40 from eBay as well as one of the cheap flip cases as pictured above for about a tenner. The cheap flip cases come without electronics so you need to source them from an existing key or buy separately.

The blade on the flip case was attempted to be cut 4 times by the same "town centre locksmith" who completely screwed it up, as CJ pointed out further up, the blade thickness was off to begin with. The second key complete with electronics I had cut by a semi-retired locksmith who lived locally, he claimed it took him over 45 minutes each side to get it perfect and he cut into his machine bed several times trying to go deep enough to match the original snapped key. He told me afterwards he wouldn't ever touch one of those keys again unless he was paid a small fortune.

Because I only had the one proper case by the end of it, I just ported over the electronics from the snapped one.

Honda garages locally had quoted £40-60 to reprogram if memory serves, you can't do it on the normal transponder programming machines that you find in most locksmiths.
  20. simbac Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

so is it possible to buy a used key from another car and reprogram it to use in my car with a new cut blade??