ICE & HFT Honda Accord Satellite Navigation NAVI -Error Reading Disc

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Tuesday 15th Nov, 2011.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This is a frustrating and annoying bug which happens to you at home in your DVD player or CD player. The good old dust spoils the party. When you get into your car and start her up you will see NAVI displaying the following greeting "Error Reading Disc". Even after swapping for a known good DVD disc the system will still show the same message. I have had this error once and fixed it by buying a CD lens cleaning disc with soft fibre bristles,I didn’t opt for the nylon bristles disc as it would be too abrasive. Initially the protruding bristles do pose a challenge in getting the CD into the front of the dvd. if you try the bristle at 90 degrees to the mouth it goes in cleanly. Run the process 3-4 times and you will find fine dust trapped on the bristles, some owners have taken the entire unit out to clean the lens with lint free swaps dipped in IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol). Owners who don’t get the desired effect with the CD are suggested to go for the IPA wipe as the next step.

Last edited: Tuesday 15th Nov, 2011
  2. Shakey60 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Re: Satellite Navigation NAVI -Error Reading Disc

I've tried all the solutions mentioned and still no luck, in fact I've given up and use the Sat Nav on my mobile phone, but I have one other problem which I hope you can assist with ... since getting the "Disc read error" I have been unable to change the time on the dashboard clock, great during the summer but now I'm an hour early for every appointment ... HELP!!!!!!

3. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke

have you tryed to get a price on the dvd rom being serviced?......ime almost certain it is an alpine unit.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

As beefy said you can send off the unit off to alpine they fix these units for £120.00, as your local dealer to get the ball moving they do all the leg work for you.

5. Shakey60 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks guy, I'll send it off in the New Year

Cheers

Alan

6. markbingley Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I also have this issue on mine. I've tried the CD cleaner, and it seems to have made little or no difference.
    Sometimes, the car tells me that its a disc read error. Other times it then changes the message to say (unformatted disc).
    Obviously this is wrong, since the Sat Nav works each trip for about 30mins before it fails. And I have checked the DVD in my Mac, and the files are all there and readable.

Anybody have other thoughts? Would my issue DEFINITELY be the DVD drive itself?

7. markbingley Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

How did you get on with this? Did Alpine fix it?

8. Bear1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Kevin Galway
    I've been living with this problem since day one.
    I turn the ignition on, the Honda symbol shows up and then immediately gives me the above error.
    The disc doesn't even attempt to load. The disc is a Verbatim copy and quite clean.
    Digging online seems to suggest that the laser could be knackered if it isn't even attempting to load.
    Anyone know of a quite remedy? Or am I looking at also buying a new DVD drive.... can't change the bloody clock :/ (stupid by Honda IMO.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds