Honda Accord Steering Wheel Button Illumination Conversion

Discussion in 'Project & Modification Logs' started by diro, Friday 19th Feb, 2016.

1. diro Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Dan Norwich
    Hi all
    Im still fearly new to this forum and didnt introduce myself yet (sorry for that) but sometimes I think that you better let your work to talk about you instead of your mouth.
    Those who own 8th Generation accord probablay noticed steering wheel buttons are illuminated green colour and not as bright as someone may can expect.
    In some ways its good becouse buttons won't annoy you and you just keep concentrading to look at the road.
    Anyway bearing in mind that the main accord button illumination accent is white colour (most of the buttons) and white/red instrument cluster i decided to make some tweaks to the steering wheel illumination to match the whole whing. I could do some tweaks to instrument cluster, radio, A/C as well but at the moment im happy with it.
    Please sorry for the bad photo quality - phone is not good for this purpose to make good shots in the dark.
    I can assure you everything looks much better live than in the photos
    Sorry for my poor English
    Steering wheel before conversion 20160216_172726.

Steering wheel after conversion
    20160219_200343.
    This work requires skills, tools (profesional soldering station), appropriate LED's and some other little bits and pieces like tweezers etc.
    Its not a rocket sience but I recommend you to stay away from such work if you are not certain to do it
    Hope you like it

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That looks interesting ! Would you mind telling us how you achieved this ?

3. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm sure my buttons were white in my 8th Generation ex gt.

4. diro Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Basically what you need to do is remove steering wheel and disassamble it. Start from airbag and carry on with the rest. there are plenty of little bolts inside.
    The middle part of the grey colour button trim (surround) is so firmly attached to steering wheel so I could not manage to remove it completely and get better access to the button assembly screws. Didnt want to take a risk breaking it using more force hoping it will get off. But trim is quite elastic so it was not a problem to bent it and possition button assembly to the right place so i could access screws and get assembly removed.
    When you have your button assemblies removed you need to separate them to get access to the LEDs. These are soldered to little circuit boards. To remove old LEDs hot air must be used and soldering iron for a new LEDs. For the best performace new LEDs should match the type of the old (original) ones. You must check a polarity of every each LED before you carry on with soldering. 1 mistake - no illumination.
    All work took about 3.5 hours. The whole car would take probably 2 days. Depends on the car.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Mine is ES GT - it had green steering wheel buttons

SpeedyGee likes this.
  5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's a lot of hard work ! Hats off to you for putting in the effort to get that done !

Just a note on the airbag removal people, always disconnect the battery before removing any airbags !

diro and Nighthawk like this.
  6. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

There was a lad by me that offered this service on Renault 172/182. He changed all the dash lights to match the colour of the car. It's a skillfull job so well done for doing it.

diro likes this.
  7. diro Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks a lot for your feedback.
    Will do a little more tweaks on the steering wheel - phone "Call" button will be green and the "Cancel/End" call button red accordingly
    Waiting for the LEDs to arrive. More photos in the future.

8. Smokingman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Lincoln
    Can't even say I have noted if mine light up! Have to look.

John

9. diro Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Photo done with camera. Much better now P1080283.JPG