General Honda Accord Tourer 2004 Oil problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ChrisL, Friday 31st May, 2013.

1. ChrisL New Member Getting Started

I was wondering if anyone had come across a similar situation to me. I have a Honda Accord 2004 tourer running perfectly fine then one morning travelled 100 yards in it then the oil pressure light appeared. Drove back checked oil which was fine. Started it again then got engine management light and it hasn't run since. It seem no oil is getting the top of the engine.
    Is this just a fairly straight forward job of replacing the oil pump or could there be further hidden problems created by this?

If so is it worth fixing the car or selling spares/repairs?
    Since December 2012 the car has already cost me £1500 with a new clutch, dual fly wheel and all new discs and pads.:Angry:
  2. BanditSid Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

When you say no oil is getting to the top of the engine have you witnessed this or are you assuming this from the warning light ? It is possible the fault is electrical - the oil pressure switch could have failed.
  3. ChrisL New Member Getting Started

This is an assumption from the noise the engine was making when it occurred.
    I wish it could be electrical but from the sound i heard it sounded like metal on metal.
  4. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Chris,
    Sorry to hear you're facing issues!
    Coming to your questions: it's impossible to answer correct with the info you and we have. The car is not diagnosed, you have no idea what causes the problem.
    It might be the oil pump, but as well sludge or other dirt blocking the oil flow, or running low on oil ... and you don't know what damage has been done so far.
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup seen this all to often you may have snapped your oil pump chain , I won't run that engine too long before it self destructs. Sorry to tell you the bad news.
  6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Does sound like a chain pump failure. As CJ says don't run the engine at all.

Can I ask what the mileage is on your Accord ?
  7. ChrisL New Member Getting Started

The car has done 124000 but it has full service history never missed and has been really well maintained which is why this has come as a real surprise this has happened. Do you think i am best selling on spares repair as there are alot of new parts on it less than 6 months old. Clutch and dual mass fly wheel to name just two costing over £1000. What sort of money can you get for these when selling spares repairs?
  8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I would first get it checked out by a reputable garage, see what comes of that before you start contemplating drastic measures such as breaking it.

Also if you do decide that getting it repaired is not something you want to undertake, another option would be to sell the whole car as spares/repairs. There maybe someone who already has a spare engine or is a mechanic and fancies getting it repaired himself.