Daily Driver Honda Accord Tourer Type-S 2003

7th Generation (2003-2008) vehicle added by Dan, Sunday 20th Dec, 2015

1. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Dan Oldbury
  2. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Dan Oldbury
    Sunday 7th Feb 2016: Air filter replacement and clutch fluid replacement.

I was having some issues with a notchy gearbox, and received some advice to try renewing the clutch fluid.

I was a bit hesitant after looking at the location in the car, because the slave cylinder bleed nipple is located quite deep behind the inlet manifold. I was just able to get my hand in by first removing the sensor thats attached to the front of the inlet manifold, and unbolting the bit of wiring loom thus allowing me to just about get my hand and a small spanner down there. This is the position of the bleed nipple. It needed an 8mm spanner as per Nighthawk's guide on here.

20160207_114733.

Once I'd got the initial tightness off it with the spanner I was able to just nip it back up by hand during the bleed process. I used 2.4m length of 4.7mm dia windscreen washer tube that I got from Halfords for £1.99, which easily reached outside the bonnet to my receiving container. For the rest of the process I followed Nighthawk's guide which worked a treat.

This was the fluid bled from the car:

20160207_164637.

It must have been in there a long time. Lots of air came out too, could see it in the tube after every push of the pedal.

All in all I'm happy with the job. It was difficult at first and I don't have a great deal of experience working on cars. But a few quid for the fluid (plus some for the tools which obviously I can reuse), means that it was a job worth doing. I think the car is driving a little better now but probably still needs a new clutch.

I also replaced the air filter while I was at it. Quick job, but extension bar needed to get to the deep bolt at the back. They did have cross head screw heads too but these seemed to have rusted up a bit so a socket was better.

So far I have had the transmission oil replaced, an oil change, and now the clutch fluid. I think given how dirty the clutch fluid was, I should also now get the brake fluid done. May try and do this myself, not sure yet. I also want to replace the coolant and PAS fluid, then that will be all fluid renewed.