Tyres & Wheels Honda Accord tyre size ,selecting the correct tyre for your car

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Monday 14th Nov, 2011.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    There is a general perception among owners and the general public a Tyre is a Tyre. Some refuse to pay the extra money for the same tyre which came with the car. Then the widely held perception is aftermarket are always better than OEM and use their wallet to determine their next tyre, in the process select a tyre which may not be the correct rating or size.

To give you guidance in selecting the right tyre as per your chassis code and alloy wheel, please make the correct choice to get our car feeling and behaving the same manner as you got it from the factory.

In order to avoid possible damage to wheels, brake calipers or brake discs, strictly follow the wheel application chart shown in the attached document, especially when changing wheels for winter tyres. Please check the tyre label on the B-pillar the label shows the tyre and wheel size originally installed on the production line.

Tyreplacard.

It is not allowed to down size to a smaller wheel and/or tyre size due to specific suspension and steering settings. If you are going for uprated Honda Genuine alloys the new tyre placard are already within the boxes. Make sure its stuck on the B pillar. For LKAS quipped Accord also have a look at this thread Tyres & Wheels - LKAS error on Dash

Attached Files:

Last edited: Tuesday 25th Nov, 2014
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Just a bump top all those members looking for information on upgrading tyres. You can take the information or ignore it,either way have a read of it irrespective.

Majority will ignore as they will still do what they want but have a look at this thread when you have a issue and want to address it.

3. earthsciencer1 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Bob Wetherby
    Thanks for the information. However it is apparently permissible to change to a smaller wheel and tyre size when fitting winter tyres. I am a bit confused and wonder if this means that all the potential effects quoted on the more recent thread (on brake calipers/speedometer readings etc etc) will still potentially apply or whether these are in some way compensated for by the different tyre compounds used in manufacturing winter tyres.

I have been investigating the possibility of obtaining some winter wheels and tyres (at the smaller size as per my manual) but am a bit put off by these warnings.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  4. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    The tyre size posted on my 2.4EXi is: 225 x 45 x ZRY18 95Y with front tyre pressure 38psi & rear 35 psi. Shortly after obtaining the car, which does not have LKAS, I had four new Michelin Primacy 3 tyre size 235 x 45 x R18 98W fitted. This is what is recommended by Michelin, who do not do posted tyre size in Michelin Primacy 3's, it is the tyre size for 18 inch wheels in my handbook and there are many Honda Type-S diesels fitted with the tyre size, speed rating W & load rating 98 that I have fitted. Pressure back & front now 33psi as Michelin tyres have higher load rating of 98 compared to 95 of the posted tyres. I know speed/distance now 1.3% more than that of original tyres and when speedo reads 30 mph sat nav reports 29 mph so no problem.

5. sword906 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Guys,

I have 225 50 17 on my Accord Ex diesel (8th Generation). I still have some winter tyres left from my old Accord(2004) which are 205 55 16. Can I down size safely, not too bothered about the speedo issue, for a few weeks a year when the weather is bad?

Thanks in advance

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    what alloys are on these winter tyres ?

7. sword906 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

16 inch alloys

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Sorry my mistake I should have said what the name of these alloys,I reckon these are either the pre facelift or the facelift 16 inch Honda genuine alloys? is that right .

if they are then these are the specifications

7th Generation prefacelift 16X6 1/2JJ (ASAHI)
    7th Generation facelift 16X6 1/2JJ (KOSEI)
    8th Generation 16X6 1/2J (KOSEI)

The positive and negative offset for the 16 inch alloys are identical on thing different is the J number "J" is shape of the tyre bead profile and that won't make a difference.

have a look at the word documents in the first thread and see the other factors to consider apart from speedo error.

The index to make the chassis code more user friendly are as follow

CU1\CW1 -8th Generation Saloon 2.0 Petrol CU1 \8th Generation Tourer 2.0 Petrol CW1
    CU2\CW2- 8th Generation Saloon 2.4 Petrol CU2 \8th Generation Tourer 2.4 Petrol CW2
    CU3\CW3 8th Generation Saloon 2.2 Diesel CU3 \8th Generation Tourer 2.2 Diesel CW3

9. sword906 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the information. They are 16 x 6 1/2 JJ. SEA655A. Are they okay to use?

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  11. sword906 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Let me get this straight. My vehicle is CU3, which is for 8th Generation Honda Accord EX diesel, and the min tyre I can have is 215 60 16 95v

If i get 215 60 16, will they fit my 16inch alloys from the 7th generation? Or do I need to get another set of alloys as well

Last edited: Monday 20th May, 2013
  12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup you need the tyres and they will fit your 7th Generation alloys , sell your existing winter tyres on here when you reach your next stage of membership.

13. sword906 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That is great. The help is appreciated

Ichiban likes this.
  14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Bump to this thread as I have had a PM about this for ADAS users. Jeff you have selected wrong tyres for your 8th Generation that is why the ADAS is all over the place.