General Honda Advert Voice Man - Garrison Keillor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rydo, Wednesday 25th May, 2016.

1. Rydo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ryan Glasgow
    I seem to be utterly alone in this one but it seems a massive shame that Garrison has effectively been canned by Honda creative after what must be a 15+ year partnership of voiceover work.

I understand this his 'aged' voice might be the nightmare of some cocky exec at Honda UK who maybe thinks it gives Honda a grandad image but I'm sorry that's just nonsense.

Since he has gone, I just don't find myself warming to any Honda advertising. Normally a clever advertising mob but now just bland and samey...much like their pitiful UK car linup as of late I suppose.
    - - - Updated - - -

A classic of his.

vincemince, exec and FirstHonda like this.
  2. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Totally agree @Rydo

The latest HR-V and Jazz adverts were average at best.
    I didn't remember that CR-V advert either - thanks for posting it :likeit:

Rydo likes this.
  3. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

His voice told everyone it was Honda the second the ad started. That is key to advertising at it's finest - grab the customer's attention in the first couple of seconds and it's job done. Fail to do so and you're pushing rocks uphill.

Rydo likes this.
  4. Rydo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ryan Glasgow
    I'm glad you agree guys and yes it is telling that his voice was Honda because Hyundai launched an ad on the tele that used a similar grumbly low voice of an American with short simple sentences and my dad immediately labelled it as a rip-off of Honda's ad efforts.

When I wrote to Honda UK on their Facebook page they simple told me 'who couldn't love Garrison's voice but we have decided to take our creative on a different direction'. I contacted him directly but he's a busy man. I would just like to know why he was dropped.

It seems petty but I do really hate it when a company drops something that they have built up. Some companies switch their slogans every 6 months so it's good Honda have kept their The Power of Dreams one up for a good decade plus now.

Oh well, a shame he's gone.