Pre-Purchase Honda C90 for commuting

Discussion in 'Scooters' started by exec, Tuesday 16th Dec, 2014.

1. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Just wondering has anyone on here ever owned a Honda Cub bike? Seriously considering buying one for commuting to work, which would be around 9 miles a day in inner London, always wanted one of these and they seem ideal, but what are they actually like to own and drive?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Slow and ultra reliable but expect to be intimidated on the roads riding that by everyone,you won't be immune for the cyclist brigade too.

exec likes this.
  3. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    I used a couple of C70s for commuting over the years and they were excellent -but don't try taking them out in snow! I prefer a tank between my knees.
    Ichiban makes a very valid point though, you will get NO respect from other road users - but at least you can use the bus lanes (I think). Drive defensively and treat everyone else as a potential homicidal maniac and you should be OK.

Stay safe, Pete C.

Ichiban, Chunkylover53 and exec like this.
  4. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Cheers guys, with the low running costs, it seems ideal for commuting around London, they are essteianly bikes with a motor aren't they and they seem easy to work, doing some quick finances it would more than half the costs I spend travelling on crappy public transport!

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  5. ricksmith Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi
    Commuted on a C70 for many years. Steady for of transport and very economical. As above beware of the homicidal maniacs.
    Be safe.
    Rick

6. Mark Whitfield Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mark UK
    Snow Pete?

7. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Yep, on duty one very snowy winter and the combination of skinney tyres, auto clutch and nothing to grip with your knees to keep it upright meant it was pretty hopeless. DFU 99Y where are you now? The 150 MZ I had years before was much better!

8. Mark Whitfield Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mark UK
    I always fancied one of those Honda Vigor. Nice torquey engine fat back tyre

9. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You can use this to check if its still taxed.

10. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Unsurprisingly it is not taxed - and it was due in Jan 2000 !
    Well it was fairly knackered when I chopped it in against a US import Yamaha XJ650 Maxim in 1999.
    Loved that Yam!!!
    - - - Updated - - -
    You've started something now! I have long wondered if an Austin Seven Ruby I saved from the scrap heap in 1975 survived. I sold it as an unfinished runner in 1979 to a guy in Preston and lost his details.

IT DID! IT'S TAXED!!!

Can I find it? Could I buy it back? Would I still fit in it?

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  11. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    It's the only motorbike I've ever ridden, and I crashed straight into a wall, so no comment from me!

12. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm pretty sure DVLA will release the details of the owner for a few quid. Worth it just to hear its story to be honest :Smile:

13. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    I think you need the number off the V5C to access those sort of details. Otherwise you could clock a car you like whilst out and about then get the address before calling round to nick it!

14. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You are correct, I was taking a little jab at the DVLA due to articles I've read like this :Laughing:

FR-V likes this.