Electrical & Lights Honda Civic 1.6 Sport [EP2] - Launch Control?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by IC3, Saturday 28th Mar, 2015.

1. IC3 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, I'm currently looking at buying an EP2 and out of curiosity I wanted to see what sort of 0-60 times they are getting. So I came across one video which made me question whenever EP2 has some sort of launch control?

Here's the vid

It looks like 8's :Grin:

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    What gives you the impression its got launch control the driver just got his revs up to max and is bouncing off limiter which is all standard.

3. IC3 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well, in our other if you tried to do this the rev limiter would go all the way to the red line. This bounces between 4-4.5k, so I assumed its pretty similiar to traction control system. But I might well be wrong and the car from my understanding might have 2 rev limiters? 1 for the launch and one when the car is in motion. I just wanted to double check, as I couldn't find an exact answer on google.

4. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Trust me, there's no need to fit any such feature to a 1.6 single cam Honda Civic

Nighthawk likes this.
  5. IC3 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm not planning on installing launch control, my question was whenever the EP2 has factory fitted 'launch control' system of some sort.

6. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    No mate, EP2 does not have launch control. The 1.6 EP2 is not exactly a quick car off the mark, that engine is more designed for economy than anything. My CTDi Accord destroys the EP2 on acceleration

7. IC3 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hence why my insurance isn't killing me for this car and is pretty similiar to more popular first cars, but it looks like its in the range of 8-9s so that's quicker than I expected it to be.

BTW Have you change the cambelt, water pump and tensioner when you bought your missus EP2? On Monday I'm going to see an EP2 with nearly 60k miles on the clock and I'm thinking whenever I should change the cambelt, water pump and tensioner straight away or when the car hits 70k.

8. Nighthawk Guest

I havent chanaged the cambelt etc, but it was all changed by the previous owner in 2012 - 10k miles ago - the car has done 10k in 3 years

IC3 likes this.
  9. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    As said it doesn't have launch control. no Honda has ever come with factory launch control to my knowledge.

Most cars are limited to a certain rev when revving in idle to protect the engine, usually around 4k, the guy in the video probably likes killing his clutch frequently.

10. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You don't need to change water pumps on Hondas. Very rare do tensioners fail sub 150k miles.

You're not dealing with German rubbish now lol.

IC3 and Nighthawk like this.
  11. Nighthawk Guest

@Pottermus - might be giving you a call next week to get some bits n bobs ordered for the EP2

12. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mon-Wed otherwise you run the risk of getting through to Max.

Nels, Chunkylover53 and IC3 like this.
  13. Nighthawk Guest

I wouldn't wanna do that....

IC3 likes this.
  14. IC3 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks, I'll double check with the dealer if they have any evidence of the cambelt being changed, it should have as they advertise it with 'Full History'.

BTW Do you guys know if anyone on this froum who has fitted an tablet into the Civic to use as an multimedia system? I'm thinking of buying older tablet with faulty battery to use as a 2din multimedia system, I'm just not sure what kind of modifications I'm looking at to make sure the tablet sits in nicely.

P.s. I haven't bought the car yet and already have a list of mods for it, haha :Grin:

15. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'd be surprised if it is, my mums Civic is nowhere near that fast (admittedly its a slushbox) - for D16 I think its around 10 second mark (add a second or so for auto)

16. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My ATR is 7.2 seconds so I think 8-9 is a bit optimistic from a Civic Sport
    - - - Updated - - -
    10.1 according to Parkers

17. Nighthawk Guest

10secs is about rightright. It goes ok @IC3 but it's not a performance car at all. Its gets up to speed quite happily without hammering it. If you want performance, get the Type-R

18. IC3 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Someone placed a deposit on that black EP2... I'm giving up if this one goes!

3Izad.
    BTW I left them my number and e-mail to contact me ASAP if the buyer changes his mind, he has time till Wednesday...

19. Nighthawk Guest

Which black one was that?

20. IC3 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆