Engine & Gearbox Honda Civic Auto Gearbox Sealed for life?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by Keejteej, Sunday 26th Jun, 2016.

1. Keejteej Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Salv Sandown
    Hi all, a new owner of a 2003 Honda Civic 1.6 automatic. I am wondering if this gearbox is sealed for life? As a mechanic friend is recommending an oil and filter change due to the car not accelerating as quick as it should. His only concern is if it is sealed for life!

Any advice on this would be great?! :0 Thanks so much

Salv

2. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    It's not sealed for life? You can change the oil, however the main filter is internal and the gearbox has to be removed and split down for access. You should have no problem with the filter, there is not set schedule but getting the gearbox oil changed with genuine ATF is a good idea. Make sure the engine is really hot after a good drive before dropping the oil.

3. Keejteej Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

thanks a lot, won;t be doing it myself lol Got a good mechanic that does my work for cheap :Smile: Just need to find the right parts
    - - - Updated - - -
    any recommendations on good ATF? and roughly how much would be needed?

4. Keejteej Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It's ok, no need to reply about what typew, i think you mean ATF-DW1, genuine honda stuff :Smile:

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup he does bud, get a chance to update your avatar please.

7. Keejteej Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sorry mate, didn;t mean that to sound funny. What I meant was I read a bit more and presumed when he said genuine he meant the Honda stuff :Smile: Really am grateful for the advice, just now struggling to find a place in UK that sells the transmission filter as I guess worth changing that at same time to save costs and hassle later, can;t cost too much I reckon?!

Ichiban likes this.
  8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

So you are going to take the gearbox apart to replace it ?

Genuine one from Honda ??

9. Keejteej Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Oops, just reread Beefy's post, guess I shall leave the filter alone, just need the ATF then. SO in answer, no we won;t take it apart :Wink:

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

If you are having trouble with the gearbox, I would advise doing a number of gearbox fluid changes.

When you only change it once, you only get out most of the fluid that in is the gearbox, some stays behind in the gearbox itself, loads more stays in the torque converter and more still in the cooling pipe work.
    So personally I would do 3 fluid changes, taking the car for a good 10 minute drive in between each one and making sur eyou hit all the gears.

This is the only way to ensure you have replaced the majority of the ATF fluid.

11. Keejteej Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

And for each fluid change I would need 3 quarts?

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

No, I think it's close to 2 litres.

13. Keejteej Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ok, still struggling to find that for a good price locally...all seems to be listed from USA :Frown: am looking for ATF-dw1 but seems rare lol or I am just blind ofc

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

FirstHonda and Zebster like this.
  15. Keejteej Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

WOW cool, somehow I knew out of all the honda forums I looked at, this would be the best one to join :Wink: Got a good price from Holdcroft and next day free delivery even to isle of wight lol thanks a lot Speedy :Wink:

FirstHonda and legend-ary like this.
  16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Welcome :Hey:

17. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

That's the benefit of good karma...:Smile: