Engine & Gearbox Honda Civic FK2 Type -R Turbo Drivetrain Components

Discussion in '9th Generation (2012-2017)' started by Ichiban, Monday 31st Aug, 2015.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have been just comparing the clutch set up on the new CTR to find a new drivetrain components which are sourced all here in blighty. Now UK has a lot of high end motorsport outfits offering the best clutch systems in the world but I cannot see those suppliers supplying the clutches for the new CTR.

So who is the supplier to the new CTR? I think its LuK clutches the same people who supply the diesel cars. The biggest concern I have is the new CTR uses a DMF!! yes people you heard it's a DMF :thumbdown: the flywheel weight a massive 14Kgs

We all know the DMF's supplied and designed for the Diesel cars are less than impressive but to see a similar set up on the new CTR make me wonder how long will it be before we see issues.

Here is the exploded diagram and Honda part numbers.,

FN2CTRTURHK01.PNG

Item 2:- 22100-R3P-013 Flywheel Complete Assembly

Item 3:- 22200-R3P-003 Disc Complete,Friction

Item 4:- 22300-R3P-003 Disc Complete,Pressure

tomwillie likes this.
  2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

That's a little scary. The CTR will be driven hard by most owners so this could cost in the long run.

3. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Apparently all turbo cars, both petrol & diesel, now days have DMF's. When I queried this @Beefy posted details of the DMF used in the Type-R & it has metal springs, not neoprene as some other manufacturers. After thrashing the Type-R around the ring, and WCTC racing, I am sure any failings in Honda's DMF will have been eradicated. So DMF's can be expected in all versions of 2017 MY Civic.
    Maybe @Beefy can advise if Civic Type-R type of DMF is used in current Honda diesel's?

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Lol diesel and performance don't go together you know that surely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Yes the 1.6 I-DTEC has DMF

6. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Does it have metal springs as one used in Civic Type-R?

7. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    It won't be the same DMF I can assure you of that. As regards type of springs I can't say for certain.

8. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Type-R May have a heavy flywheel but there is no lag in revs dropping when changing up, as could happen with my 8th Generation 2.4EXi Accord, gears & clutch action are excellent. Clutch not noticeably heavier than either S2000 or Accord even though it has to deal with much higher torque forces.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Weight will nothing to do with contrction or durablity.

The CTR flywheel weights 13.840 Kgs the 1.6 I-DTEC flywheel weighs 14,585 Kgs.

10. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    @Ichiban should the title of this post be "FK2" as I believe "FN2" is 8th Generation non turbo model?

Ichiban likes this.
  11. Denso23 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Denso23 London
    I also do have a look at civinfo where a lot of fk2 members post messages. There have been a few cases of gearbox issues with gear selection issues.

I guess these are teething problems Honda will have but sure will get better soon. Anyway I do think Honda NA are a bit more bulletproof proposition but Honda turbo engine with DMF is still reliable

12. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    My 65 Reg Type-R at 4.5k miles has excellent gear selection & clutch action & no slack in transmission. I also negotiated two additional years full Honda Manufacturers warranty so have nearly another fours years remaining.
    Found the "civicinfo" site a bit flaky when accessed using Edge browser & it locked up. Will give it a try using IE11 and Chrome to see if any better, but it does not appear to be as well structured as this forum.